masks and glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple solution. When you put on a surgical mask, make the rubber band around your ears cross one time. It creates a small gap between around your jawbone on each side so that the exhale comes out there instead of straight up into your glasses. You see kids doing it alot because the masks are too big and they are trying to shorten the distance by crossing the rubber band part, but it works like a champ as an adult for this very issue of glasses fogging.

Much as I enjoy the satire (or not, who know?!;)) I'll actually address the issue. I played 4 years of college hockey, and 2 years of amateur. Wearing a half shield, and breathing heavily in a very cold environment tends to produce a foggy shield (which is bad when you need to be able to see something flying at you at 100 mph!). There are anti-fog treatments for lenses, but we found that shaving cream did just as good of a job at preventing fog.

Take the precautions you feel are necessary. For my wife and I, we have made our decision, but the decision you make may be different. That's called freedom. You can choose what you want, and I can choose what I want, and we can acknowledge our differences and be ok with it. If we are legitimately ok with freedom, then we can poke fun at each others decisions and nobody gets super offended. Especially in this group, we are a very small portion of the population and we all share a common passion. We make fun of each other for all kinds of things (forgetting to switch frequencies before making that next radio call etc.) Let's take this stuff with a grain of salt too. I work in federal law enforcement, and one of my partners has made a different decision than me. We support each other's right to make those decisions, but we text each other memes making fun of the other all the time! Remember, as pilots, we are on the same side. Keep the blue side up y'all (in other words, watch your attitudes! See the parallel?!?!?!?)

Risk is real. We’re all going to die. Some can’t seem to accept that. Living is a risky proposition. Generally speaking the more you live the riskier it is.
But we also take steps to mitigate the risks when desired. Would you wear a seatbelt if it wasn't required?

Depends on what your assessment of risk is. Perhaps this is just a photo for fun ...
View attachment 102743
That's exactly my point. Yes, life comes with risks. But acting like people don't make decisions based on THEIR view of the risks is naïve. If someone feels wearing a mask helps mitigate a risk, *I* feel it's rude to make fun of them.

That's exactly my point. Yes, life comes with risks. But acting like people don't make decisions based on THEIR view of the risks is naïve. If someone feels wearing a mask helps mitigate a risk, *I* feel it's rude to make fun of them.

I agree. People should be able to make their own decisions and find their own way. But there are also those that need some guidance and many times those providing the guidance are not telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Sometimes those giving the bad advice don't realize it. For instance, my father was a hard working and smart man who loved me very much. But even he gave me a piece of advice that wasn't the best as when I was small and started going to school he said, "if you get into a fight I don't want to hear that you threw the first punch." By the time you get to high school you learn that in some fights there may only be one punch thrown. ;)

I agree. People should be able to make their own decisions and find their own way. But there are also those that need some guidance and many times those providing the guidance are not telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Sometimes those giving the bad advice don't realize it. For instance, my father was a hard working and smart man who loved me very much. But even he gave me a piece of advice that wasn't the best as when I was small and started going to school he said, "if you get into a fight I don't want to hear that you threw the first punch." By the time you get to high school you learn that in some fights there may only be one punch thrown. ;)
Sadly, there are people in this world that won't give you any respect UNTIL you throw the first punch.

But we also take steps to mitigate the risks when desired. Would you wear a seatbelt if it wasn't required?

yes. (But I don’t believe it’s the government’s place to require it)

It's perfectly fine to make fun of them if they are making risk decisions based on feelings. However, there are numerous Covid risk analysis calculators out there now that can help people actually characterize their risks.

I like this one - https://www.microcovid.org

It has shown me that there is virtually no situation that I put myself in these days that has even broken out from the "low risk" category mask or not. Take it for a spin.

Before the vaccine I had the same problem. Gave a CFI a familiarization flight, and I'm glad he could fly the airplane, because I couldn't, couldn't see a damn thing. After that flight I was solo until I got the jab.

I just ordered a couple of these. They’re not supposed to fog your glasses or impede your breathing. They better work.

https://www.getunmask.com/
I dunno. Seems like impeding your breathing would be necessary to some degree to be effective. "Minimizes buildup of germs" also seems to be the opposite of what a mask is supposed to be doing.

I dunno. Seems like impeding your breathing would be necessary to some degree to be effective. "Minimizes buildup of germs" also seems to be the opposite of what a mask is supposed to be doing.

Yep.

Risk is real. We’re all going to die.

Both those statements are trivially true and hard to argue against.

But we have all heard of the 5 Hazardous Attitudes. One such is Resignation. If another pilot suggests an action to mitigate risk - carrying a PLB, having personal minimums, or, I don’t know, taking protective measures against a virus that’s already killed 800,000 Americans - I’m not sure hearing “We’re all going to die” is especially helpful.

Certainly wouldn’t want to hear the captain say it over the intercom of an airliner before takeoff!

I did my flight review with a mask and glasses. I was able to find a configuration relatively quickly that worked with a run of the mill surgical mask. Sorry, I don't remember any specifics primarily because I was able to get it sorted quickly.

Btw, its nice to hear about people taking others opinions/beliefs/feelings/situations into consideration. Being part of a community requires compromise.

I did my flight review with a mask and glasses. I was able to find a configuration relatively quickly that worked with a run of the mill surgical mask. Sorry, I don't remember any specifics primarily because I was able to get it sorted quickly.

Btw, its nice to hear about people taking others opinions/beliefs/feelings/situations into consideration. Being part of a community requires compromise.
Is that for both sides, or only one?

Exactly.

I think we tend to think of ourselves as either immune to the risk or find the risk inconsequential. And it often is.

But this just posted to Facebook:

Jeffrey Whitaker

In memory of my friend and member of The Aviator's Lounge, Jeffrey Whitaker. We lost a great one on Nov.19 due to Covid. Kind, compassionate, great sense of humor, and a shared love of God, America, and anything to do with aviation and aerospace. Rest in peace, Jeff. I will miss you and our conversations dearly.

There’s a reddit called “HermanCainAwards” and it’s full of thousands and thousands of the exact same person.

Step 1. Post fake news and pseudo-scientific ******** about vaccines on facebook

Step 2. Contract COVID-19

Step 3. Thots and prayers

Step 4. A post from a friend saying “Our dear friend xxx has gone to be with the lord after a tough battle with COVID-19”

I’d really love to see this virus stop killing people, but I guess that’s just too much to ask for in this country.

Here’s an example just randomly plucked off the front page.

7E31F1FC-3E93-4749-A846-63D7B3950817.jpeg C4DDEA38-A54A-49B8-808E-8CB497E420CA.png 0772F8C5-F0C6-42E5-A2A9-113B68065DFE.jpeg

I find it amusing when people say “I’m not afraid of COVID” well, I had a dog who wasn’t afraid of traffic either….

So nobody that posted "real" news about awesome vaccines and got the vaccine have died from COVID despite having gotten the vaccine?

I guess that answers my question about it working both ways. It don't.

So nobody that posted "real" news about awesome vaccines and got the vaccine have died from COVID despite having gotten the vaccine?

Sure, people who have got the vaccine die of covid, just at a substantially lower rate than those who don’t. It’s just a lot more ironic when real red-blooded ‘muricans die for no reason other than they were too ignorant to get a shot.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Do...-tables/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf

Sure, people who have got the vaccine die of covid, just at a substantially lower rate than those who don’t. It’s just a lot more ironic when real red-blooded ‘muricans die for no reason other than they were too ignorant to get a shot.
further confirmation

Is that for both sides, or only one?

compromise:

an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.
"an ability to listen to two sides in a dispute, and devise a compromise acceptable to both"

compromise:

an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.
"an ability to listen to two sides in a dispute, and devise a compromise acceptable to both"
Doesn't say anything about both parties having to agree about everything. Also doesn't say one party is "ignorant".

Risk is real. We’re all going to die. Some can’t seem to accept that. Living is a risky proposition. Generally speaking the more you live the riskier it is.
So, skip the pre-flight checks? ;)

Vaccines, etc. don't have to be 100% effective to be worthwhile.

So, skip the pre-flight checks? ;)

Why even bother putting gas in the plane? My sisters boyfriends uncles brother-in-law Cooter told me gasoline in airplanes was all just a big-oil conspiracy anyways. Airplanes crash for reasons other than running out of gas sometimes, therefore no airplane needs gas at all.

yep. No room for disagreement. Agree with everything, or you're an ignorant idiot that flies without fueling their plane. No logical fallacies there. :rolleyes:

yep. No room for disagreement. Agree with everything, or you're an ignorant idiot that flies without fueling their plane. No logical fallacies there. :rolleyes:
So in your opinion, is risk-mitigation generally a good idea, or not?

“Why check the oil or do a runup, we all gotta die sometime right? Might as well be today”

“Tires look a little bald, but we all gotta go off the runway sometime right? Might as well be today”

“Flight service is telling me not to fly, but what do those idiots know, we all gotta fly VFR into IMC sometime right? Might as well be today”

Risk mitigation is ALWAYS a judgement call. There is NEVER a single correct answer. There are far too many factors involved that each person values slightly differently which results in different answers for everyone.

Risk mitigation is ALWAYS a judgement call. There is NEVER a single correct answer. There are far too many factors involved that each person values slightly differently which results in different answers for everyone.

How would you feel if the guy in the front seat of your United/SWA/Delta/w/e flight thought that way?

“Well, the regs recommend we stay 20 miles from those there thunderstorms but Uncle Steve is gonna slide this bird in there tighter than sumo wrestler in smart car”

There is a bare minimum amount of risk mitigation we must all do. For instance, if there was a single bolt that had a 1/100 chance of failing and killing you every single flight, would you inspect it during your preflight?

How would you feel if the guy in the front seat of your United/SWA/Delta/w/e flight thought that way?

“Well, the regs recommend we stay 20 miles from those there thunderstorms but Uncle Steve is gonna slide this bird in there tighter than sumo wrestler in smart car”

There is a bare minimum amount of risk mitigation we must all do. For instance, if there was a single bolt that had a 1/100 chance of failing and killing you every single flight, would you inspect it during your preflight?
You're just a bevy of logical fallacies, aren't you?

Or you’re just not terribly imaginitive
Nice edit on the ad hom attack. If calling people an idiot because they don't agree with you 100% makes you feel better, then you need all the help you can get. Go for it.

Nice edit on the ad hom attack. If calling people an idiot because they don't agree with you 100% makes you feel better, then you need all the help you can get. Go for it.

I edited it back just for you.

I don’t think you’re an idiot, I just don’t think you’re particularly bright. No one who shares your viewpoints could be. I’m not the smartest person in the room generally, but I’m not dull enough to think I’m more intelligent than the vast majority of physicians in this country. 96% of them actually.

Hope I don’t see you on the HCAs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back