Marvelous night for a night flight

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
It was a great night for a night flight. The wife said to go out and enjoy the great flying weather. We flew to Watertown, Wisconsin for dinner. The FBO gives you a coupon to save 10% at Perkins next door. The service was very friendly. I got a hug for waitress Laurie when I left a tip!
Then Jim, Bill and I boarded the mighty Apache and flew to Burlington, Wisconsin for gas. It was only $3.19 for 100LL at Burlington! Jim was the only one who brought gloves.
I need gas for the flight to Ames on Saturday. While we were tanking up, the WTMJ Jet Ranger hovered up to the pumps for a fill. Those rotors kicked up a powerful wind.
Departing Burlington for Lake in the Hills, Illinois, we enjoyed spectacular visibility with a few whispy high clouds and millions of stars. We could see the Milwaukee skyline and the Chicago skyline with ease. We dropped Jim at his home drome and headed back to Aurora. The FAA tower was closed for the night. Although it was only 9:30 pm, the traffic pattern was quiet. As we pulled into the ramp, a KingAir called in on final.
After we landed, Bill had to go straight home because his chemo appointment is early in the morning. It was frosty as I tied the aircraft down, but my heart was warmed by a great night to soar through the sky.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
It was frosty as I tied the aircraft down, but my heart was warmed by a great night to soar through the sky.:blueplane:
Nice!

I rode safety for a buddy Monday night, and just before the last light went out from the day, the western sky was this absolutely wonderful deep saturated purple, with a few clouds dotting the painting. That, set against Lookout Mountain caused me to say a little prayer of thanksgiving right there, just thankful that I could enjoy flying and the view on such a wonderful night. It was so nice, I told my buddy to flip up the foggles for a few seconds so he could take it in too...

Sounds like a nice flight. I need to get night current again and each I plan for the time to do it somehting comes up. Last night I was sick. Caught a darn cold on my last trip to Korea and it has knocked me out.

ApacheBob said:
We flew to Watertown, Wisconsin for dinner. The FBO gives you a coupon to save 10% at Perkins next door.

Bob,

Next time you go to RYV for dinner, try "Steakfire" across the street. Grill your own, excellent service, salad made to your order right at your table. Mmmmm.

While we were tanking up, the WTMJ Jet Ranger hovered up to the pumps for a fill.

If it was their main pilot, Bill, flying, well, Bill's the best chopper pilot I've ever seen. Vietnam vet, and a super-nice guy as well. Always did a combat landing onto their platform and always landed it perfectly parallel and centered. Amazing. Last time I saw Chopper 4, though, it was someone else flying.

We could see the Milwaukee skyline and the Chicago skyline with ease.

I love flights like that. Taking off out of a big city at night is the best, seeing the carpet of lights unfold beneath you. Your description reminds me of a flight I took in January in Florida. I could clearly see the lights of Miami, Tampa, and Key West all at once. Given the distance between the above, well, do the math - The vis was well over 100 miles, and the air smooth as glass. Sweet. :)

Back