Mars flyby for married couple

"that's one small step for man... And another space toilet seat he must put down..."

"that's one small step for man... And another space toilet seat he must put down..."

Not a problem... probably won't have a toilet seat. It'll probably be Apollo Bags all the way. Make sure she understands the full implications of that before she signs the application....

Ron Wanttaja

I'm assuming reproduction in zero g is part of the reason for asking for a married couple?

Best to be a young married couple before the blush is off the rose. Launch on your anniversary so you don't have another date you'll forget!

I'm assuming reproduction in zero g is part of the reason for asking for a married couple?

Actually, the opposite. They are looking for couples with the wife past child bearing age. The complications associated with childbirth would be significant.

The requirement for a married couple is to deal with the emotional support necessary to be confined for 1.5 years.

Actually, the opposite. They are looking for couples with the wife past child bearing age. The complications associated with childbirth would be significant.

The requirement for a married couple is to deal with the emotional support necessary to be confined for 1.5 years.

I was trying to be euphemistic for "banging" not.necessarily actually having children...who wouldn't want to try some zero g fun?

1.5 years in a small capsule with my wife ?

You got to be kidding...

And probably no internet....

Sounds like hell...:eek:

HAHA good point. No internet? That's it for me right there...

HAHA good point. No internet? That's it for me right there...
Oh, considering that the sponsors will be milking the flight for all it's worth, I'm guessing you'll have internet...it'll just be really, really slow. Up to 30 minutes delay...

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Oh, considering that the sponsors will be milking the flight for all it's worth, I'm guessing you'll have internet...it'll just be really, really slow. Up to 30 minutes delay...

Ron Wanttaja

Actually due to the positions of the planets, probably never more than a 5 or 6 minute delay each way. Earth will be passing Mars at the same time as the spaceship and be only 4.3 minutes away at that time.

I wouldn't care who it is... a year and a half in a small space.... I can barely stand a full house away.

I guess there are two ways to look at this depending on the people. I would think it would be much harder if you had a personal relationship with your crewmember.

I think the best candidates would be those in solitary confinement for at least two years. They will not need to adapt. 500 days is a long time in true isolation. At least in a cell you have fresh water, hot meals and a real toilet.

José

I'd do it for free in a heartbeat. When I broached the subject with my wife her comment was: "Maybe you next wife will want to go...." :dunno:

Considering the scope of the mission and the probability of a fatal result i will guess 99.9995% of the people would pass on the chance to go to Mars...

Personally I give the mission a 1% chance of success....:eek::(

Considering the scope of the mission and the probability of a fatal result i will guess 99.9995% of the people would pass on the chance to go to Mars...

Personally I give the mission a 1% chance of success....:eek::(

WOW really? Just a flight out and a loop around and return. The orbital mechanics are sound. Assuming redundancy in systems it is just a long boring ride. A major solar flare might be a bummer, but hey, no one is gonna live forever. :dunno:

In terms of actually getting off the ground - yeah, no more than 1%.

:yeahthat: But there will be a flurry of media hype for a while. Maybe a small profit for the promoters, kinda like that Dutch outfit which is pushing for a private colonization effort. They are geared more to profit on Earth than advancement in space. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One)

1% is being generous. As my math prof would say, it is a vanishingly small probability approaching zero.

Cheers

Back