marking posts read

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Is there any way to return to the New Posts page, not the main forum page, after I mark forums read while I'm in New Posts?

I've been wanting that myself...I'll have to add it to my list of things to do. :)

This has been done - from now on if you hit "New Posts" and then mark a single forum read FROM that page, you will be taken back to the New Posts list automatically.

As an unintended but not terrible side-effect.

If you are at a forum listing, and you mark it read, because it uses the same function, you will be taken to the New Posts list from the forum.

Greebo said:
This has been done - from now on if you hit "New Posts" and then mark a single forum read FROM that page, you will be taken back to the New Posts list automatically.

Sweet! Thanks.

Trying to improve the sort order in New Posts. Don't be surprised if you see an error pop up for a few minutes. :)

I'm a tad confused now too. I know there are some display options that can be changed but I haven't figured out the best way to accomplish what I want. On the WebBoard, which was really crappy software, it was REALLY obvious how to see ONLY new posts. Is there any way to do that here? I seem to be wading through the same stuff over and over...

BillG said:
I'm a tad confused now too. I know there are some display options that can be changed but I haven't figured out the best way to accomplish what I want. On the WebBoard, which was really crappy software, it was REALLY obvious how to see ONLY new posts. Is there any way to do that here? I seem to be wading through the same stuff over and over...
Easiest way for me is to use the Recent Activity.

1. Click the Recent Activity link on the menu bars (top or bottom).
2. Scroll through and pick the topics you'd like to read.
3. Do NOT hit the back button to get to the recent activity again. Click the Recent Activity links AGAIN top or bottom. If nothing has changed, you'll see the same list, with anything you've already read not in bold.
4. Repeat going 1-3 through the list.
5. After the list has been read (as much as you're interested in, anyway and don't forget there may be more than one page!), click the Quick Links menu on the top menu bar. Then click "Reset ALL Recent Activity Timers".

1 through 4 is just a different way of doing New Posts on AOPA's software. The Reset (#5) is the same as "Mark All Read" in AOPA's software.

BillG said:
Unfortunately, this is one area where the vBulletin software is not quite up to scratch, IMO.

When you choose to see "New Posts", its best to think of it in terms of "Threads with New Posts" vs. "New Posts Only". The threads you see have new activity, but its generally up to you to determine where old ends and new begins within the specific thread.

What's the difference between "Recent Activity" and "New Posts", which is what I had been using?

Greebo said:
The threads you see have new activity, but its generally up to you to determine where old ends and new begins within the specific thread.

When I do this I click on the check mark to the left of the thread name, not on the thread name itself. This takes me to the first unread post in the thread and I don't have to scroll around looking for it. I also have my preferences set to list posts from newest (top) to oldest (bottom) if that makes any difference in this behavior.

Chip

Back