Marketing/Customer Service Issues

RiverHigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RiverHigh
GA has Marketing/Customer Service Issues

Something I've noticed over the past few years is that many flight schools, FBO's and aircraft rental businesses do a poor job with marketing and fostering good customer service.

I'm not talking so much that the people who run these businesses are rude, or that they should launch television commercials or other mainstream ads, but it does make you wonder why an industry struggling for business doesn't expend the minimal amount of resources required to pull their websites out of the 1990's and work on better ways for pilots or potential pilots to find their business.

The place I rent from doesn't even have a website. The only way I found it was when I was randomly driving around, and noticed a "Learn to fly" flyer. I figured they might rent out aircraft, so I paid a visit to see what they were like.

Other places do have websites, but the information is woefully outdated or poorly displayed. Most don't even offer clear information on their fleet, rental policies, or how to go about scheduling flights. There was one flight school website that actually looked nice (despite lacking some key information), but when I emailed them inquiring about rental checkouts, the email bounced back (indicating their email probably isn't even up to date).

It's just something odd, that even when a pilot goes out of his or her way to find an FBO in their geographical vicinity, that most information on the internet is extremely sparse. It's almost as though word of mouth is the only real way to find these places.

Last edited:
FBOs and flight schools are probably operating on a very thin edge as it is. Website development takes resources they likely don't have.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's important, Odin knows GA needs something. That, and the skill set involved in becoming a pro pilot might not be the same one involved in marketing.

FBOs and flight schools are probably operating on a very thin edge as it is. Website development takes resources they likely don't have.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's important, Odin knows GA needs something. That, and the skill set involved in becoming a pro pilot might not be the same one involved in marketing.

That is true, but nowadays it's easier than ever to make a website through things like WordPress or whatnot. It doesn't need to be like the BMW website, but as long as all the information is there, it could go a long way.

I work part time at a marketing firm. Plenty of small local business which know nothing about web design still pay a small amount to have one designed and maintained for them. It's a worthwhile investment in the end, methinks. Even basic things like creating a Facebook business page would go a long way.

That is true, but nowadays it's easier than ever to make a website through things like WordPress or whatnot. It doesn't need to be like the BMW website, but as long as all the information is there, it could go a long way.

I work part time at a marketing firm. Plenty of small local business which know nothing about web design still pay a small amount to have one designed and maintained for them. It's a worthwhile investment in the end, methinks. Even basic things like creating a Facebook business page would go a long way.

Or barter. I've bartered for all kinds of stuff over the years.

-Rich

What I have notices about flight schools is their inability to return phone calls. Some of the schools did not have phone numbers or email addresses, just the generic contact form. Of the few I did reach, I could not get anyone to return a call to start. Perhaps it was a front desk issue, I don't know. A few would not state how much ground/flying time was included in the price.

Back