Market value of instrument panel

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
What value would you assign to the following in a C-172R? Please include comments specific to the GPS.

Nav II Package including:
Bendix/King KMA 26 Audio Panel w/Marker Beacon and 4-Place Intercom
Bendix/King KLN-89B IFR Approach Certified GPS w/Moving Map Display
Bendix/King Digital KX-155A Nav/Com w/Glideslope and DVOR
Bendix/King Digital KX-155A Nav/Com and DVOR
Bendix/King Digital KR-87A ADF w/ Flight Timer
Bendix/King Digital KT-76C Transponder w/Altitude Encoder
Bendix/King Digital KAP-140 Auto Pilot w/Nav Tracking and Approach Coupling

You can generally figure that the "market value" of any avionics suite is worth between 1/2 and 2/3rd of the installed price as long as the equipment is reasonably current (The once state of the art KX170B is virtually worthless today). Another way to evaluate anything that's been around a while (IMO) is to find the least expensive price for each piece of gear on the used market
and use that without adding anything for the cost of installation.

Here's my top of head guess: $12-15k

Bendix/King KMA 26 Audio Panel w/Marker Beacon and 4-Place Intercom $700
Bendix/King KLN-89B IFR Approach Certified GPS w/Moving Map Display $300
Bendix/King Digital KX-155A Nav/Com w/Glideslope and DVOR $1800
Bendix/King Digital KX-155A Nav/Com and DVOR $1200
Bendix/King Digital KR-87A ADF w/ Flight Timer $1500
Bendix/King Digital KT-76C Transponder w/Altitude Encoder $1500
Bendix/King Digital KAP-140 Auto Pilot w/Nav Tracking and Approach Coupling $5000

You could probably come pretty close by running this through the TAP value estimator.

Another way to think of it might be to say what is the accepted minimum standard panel that is expected to be in an airplane of this type.

Len

The value depends more on the airplane in which it is mounted than on the avionics themselves.

Ron Levy said:
The value depends more on the airplane in which it is mounted than on the avionics themselves.

Yep. $150k worth of excess avionics in an aircraft with a median fleet value of $50k won't make that plane worth $200k. OTOH, I think you can expect that the price of the airplane will increase by at least the value of the individual equipment on the used wholesale market.

Lance...
What about the value to the prospected buyer? If Pilot A wants package A it may be worth more than market value. remember it costs money to move things around, and add stuff. But if you find what you wish you had in a plane, with say a bad paint job...would that make it worth it to you?

Michael said:
Lance...
What about the value to the prospected buyer? If Pilot A wants package A it may be worth more than market value. remember it costs money to move things around, and add stuff. But if you find what you wish you had in a plane, with say a bad paint job...would that make it worth it to you?

Sure, the latest avionics suite will have value over a more mundane panel, but a savvy buyer would consider that the premium cannot be too high or he will have a difficult time recouping the investment when it comes time to sell. OTOH if a buyer has every intention of owning an airplane with an unusually expensive panel and comes across an OK plane with the stuff he wants avionics wise already in the panel, he's likely to do better buying a plane that needs a coat of paint than one that would require paying someone to install the excess avionics suite he wants.

I guess Im not that Savvy kind of guy. I buy when i want and i sell at what i get. i look for what I want, not what its gonna sell for later, there must be others out there like me? Im the guy that doesnt drive 20 miles to save 20 cents on a gallon of gas. when i want it I want it now. If a panel is what im looking for, i buy the plane for it, if its a plane im looking for, Id settle for what its got and add to it what i need. Of course this is after i win the lottery.

Michael said:
I guess Im not that Savvy kind of guy. I buy when i want and i sell at what i get. i look for what I want, not what its gonna sell for later, there must be others out there like me? Im the guy that doesnt drive 20 miles to save 20 cents on a gallon of gas. when i want it I want it now. If a panel is what im looking for, i buy the plane for it, if its a plane im looking for, Id settle for what its got and add to it what i need. Of course this is after i win the lottery.

Savvy enough to know what you want though, and that's all that really matters. Different potential buyers have different goals and perspectives and some will buy an airplane at a price beyond what the market says is reasonable just because they see more value in that plane than the average buyer. Some will be concerned about some properly repaired damage that occured several years ago and some will put more emphasis on the condition of the paint and interior than anything else. I think the best you can hope for as a buyer is to understand what your priorities are and will be a little while after the sale.

Back