Marked read

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
How do I get PoA to not mark threads read (since they aren't)? When I come back (or access from another location), the whole lot of them show up as read. This is related also to partial threads read. When I click on unread, I end up skipping unread messages.
I have checked to see if there were options to adjust but can't find any.
Any clues?

John:

See this thread -> http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284

If you use "New Posts" then threads will be listed so long as their container forums haven't been marked as read. Being on this list means "This thread had something added to it since you last flagged this forum as read". The bold emphasis is unreliable and should not be depended upon because it's based on the very flaky behavior of "Recent Activity" which is a major complaint with this current version of the software.

This will change in the future when the 3.5.0 version of vBulletin is released (date tbd) and we upgrade to it (date even further out from the tbd). Until then we're stuck with how the thread describes the operation.

Greebo said:
John:

See this thread -> http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284

If you use "New Posts" then threads will be listed so long as their container forums haven't been marked as read. Being on this list means "This thread had something added to it since you last flagged this forum as read".

Chuck, perhaps you could explain why some threads re-appear on the "New Posts" list yet the "View First Unread" button will not be active (IOW, not present)?

Ed Guthrie said:
Chuck, perhaps you could explain why some threads re-appear on the "New Posts" list yet the "View First Unread" button will not be active (IOW, not present)?
View First Unread is based on the "Last Visited Date" when you arrive here during a browsing session. After 15 minutes of inactivity on your part (and being in the middle of typing a very long reply is considered inactive on the part of the software), your "Last Visited Date" is updated to the time of your last server request. On the other hand, New Posts is based on when YOU specify you want to mark a forum read, which means you can have posts that you've read, but haven't marked as read stay on the list a long long time. You could have another situation where you have a short list, all bold with "Next unread" buttons but because you got away from the computer for a coffee break, when you get back and reload the list, the bolds and buttons are gone.

Back