Mark McGwire admits steriod use

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
AP said:
Text of the statement Mark McGwire issued Monday, admitting he used steroids during his career:
"Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.
I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season.
IMHO the Major League should revoke his home run.

Last edited:
Color me shocked. I don't think anyone would have doubted it. Unfortunately, everyone in the modern day game who has more than ~50 in a season was most likely enhancing in some manner.

were the steroids he used illegal at the time?

Color me shocked.

+1

What's Next? Maybe finding out that the '89 world series earthquake was a result McGwire's, Conseco's and Henderson's egos (or syringes?) simultaneously exploding?

He lied to congress about it. He should be going to jail for purgery.

I don't think he lied, he refused to answer the question.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100112/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_steroids_mcgwire_reaction

WASHINGTON – Mark McGwire's admission that he used steroids came as no surprise to the man who brought the slugger before Congress.
Former Rep. Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican, was the chairman of the House Government Reform Committee on March 17, 2005, when McGwire repeatedly testified that he would not "talk about the past" when lawmakers asked him about performance-enhancing drugs.
In a telephone interview Monday with The Associated Press, Davis said he met for three hours with McGwire behind closed doors the day before that hearing. During that private session, according to Davis, McGwire made clear he had used steroids and wanted to say so but was worried he would face legal trouble by admitting it then.
"He would have been a nice head to put on somebody's mantel. So he basically took the Fifth (Amendment)," Davis said.
"It was very clear to everybody involved that he had taken steroids. Otherwise he would have gotten up there and denied it, but he couldn't. ... He looked ridiculous to most of the public, but he didn't have many good options. We put him in a pretty tight spot. He was candid and honest in our interrogation of him. He said: 'Some day, I'll tell the story.'"
Davis added that he was turned down when he asked then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez to grant McGwire immunity in exchange for honest testimony to Congress.
"I look back now, I wish I had got immunity," McGwire told the AP earlier Monday.

Kev, too early to go googling but if my "rememory" serves me correct, Adndre hit 49 homers back in the 80's...He was voted into the Hall this year!!!!!

There's a name I haven't heard in a month of Sundays. :yes:

I don't think he lied, he refused to answer the question.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100112/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_steroids_mcgwire_reaction

WASHINGTON – Mark McGwire's admission that he used steroids came as no surprise to the man who brought the slugger before Congress.
Former Rep. Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican, was the chairman of the House Government Reform Committee on March 17, 2005, when McGwire repeatedly testified that he would not "talk about the past" when lawmakers asked him about performance-enhancing drugs.
In a telephone interview Monday with The Associated Press, Davis said he met for three hours with McGwire behind closed doors the day before that hearing. During that private session, according to Davis, McGwire made clear he had used steroids and wanted to say so but was worried he would face legal trouble by admitting it then.
"He would have been a nice head to put on somebody's mantel. So he basically took the Fifth (Amendment)," Davis said.
"It was very clear to everybody involved that he had taken steroids. Otherwise he would have gotten up there and denied it, but he couldn't. ... He looked ridiculous to most of the public, but he didn't have many good options. We put him in a pretty tight spot. He was candid and honest in our interrogation of him. He said: 'Some day, I'll tell the story.'"
Davis added that he was turned down when he asked then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez to grant McGwire immunity in exchange for honest testimony to Congress.
"I look back now, I wish I had got immunity," McGwire told the AP earlier Monday.

I think I'm just going to do this from now on if I ever encounter a tough question. "I'm sorry, I'm just not going to answer you"

What an ahole. He admits use, sorta. Oh, ok, to recover from injuries. Suuuuuuurrrre.

BS you cheating ahole!!!

What an ahole. He admits use, sorta. Oh, ok, to recover from injuries. Suuuuuuurrrre.

BS you cheating ahole!!!

Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame... :rolleyes:

(where's the icon for "stirs pot")?

How is it cheating if you aren't breaking any of the rules of the game? That's like saying you can't use trim during landing.

How is it cheating if you aren't breaking any of the rules of the game? That's like saying you can't use trim during landing.

For what its worth, I'll bet there's no rule in Major League Baseball against giving sedatives to the opposing team's bullpen either, but its still cheating.

For what its worth, I'll bet there's no rule in Major League Baseball against giving sedatives to the opposing team's bullpen either, but its still cheating.

How would that even be administered?

It may not be an explicit rule in the MLB rulebook, but I would think that something illegal on a federal level would be sort of an understood "rule".

It may not be an explicit rule in the MLB rulebook, but I would think that something illegal on a federal level would be sort of an understood "rule".

With as big as the MLB rulebook is with other inane stuff, they should have put it in there.

Back