Mark Baker is the the new president of AOPA

Do you think Mark is the person who will lead AOPA and GA to greener pastures?

"Mark also served in senior executive roles at Scotts Miracle-Gro Company...."

Seems to have some experience in that line of work.

"Most recently, he served as CEO of Orchard Supply Hardware Stores Corporation,... also served in senior executive roles at ... The Home Depot and other companies in the industry."

Soon experimental aircraft owners wont be the only ones who will be able to buy aircraft replacement parts at the local hardware store.

Mark also served in senior executive roles at Scotts Miracle-Gro Company...

...easing fears that Fuller's departure would leave AOPA with diminished expertise in distributing fertilizer.

Looks like a solid selection to me. He has good roots (pun intended) in GA. Keep in mind that Phil Boyer was an ABC TV executive before heading AOPA.

deus ex machina

The all-powerful and unelected have made white smoke.

Yawn.

At least he has a cub.

Last edited:
So this isn't the guy that keeps the P-51 Mustang hangered at KCMH huh? One of the Scott's people does or did.

David

He certainly has a lot of flight hours.His business background should be an asset to AOPA ,rather have a leader with a cub as opposed to one with a citation.

He certainly has a lot of flight hours.His business background should be an asset to AOPA ,rather have a leader with a cub as opposed to one with a citation.

yeah......... but........... Hightower waltzed into the EAA with a pro GA resume and look what happened over there...:mad2::mad:

Time will tell...:yes:

Evidently the need for experience as a high-powered beltway insider was discarded as a precondition of employment.

His business background should be an asset to AOPA ...
His experience in the last 10-15 years at least seems to be a series of failures. Gander Mountain, a serial loser in a segment where Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops have flourished. Scott's where he was bounced out after a very short tenure. And his last job where he led the company into bankruptcy, though in that case he may have climbed onto an already dead horse.

His experience in the last 10-15 years at least seems to be a series of failures. Gander Mountain, a serial loser in a segment where Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops have flourished. Scott's where he was bounced out after a very short tenure. And his last job where he led the company into bankruptcy, though in that case he may have climbed onto an already dead horse.
Sounds like he has all the experience AOPA needs to continue its ever continuing graveyard spiral.

They may be a lot of things but they're not broke.
They may not be broke, but if the trend of people leaving as the pilot community decides that AOPA is becoming less relevant to the needs of GA, the spiral will continue, and this guy seems to have a special talent for nailing those last few nails into the coffin of dying companies.

They may be a lot of things but they're not broke.
True enough. $70+M will sustain them through a much longer period than this guy's more recent average job tenures.

But the good news is that he has been in businesses where being responsive to the customer is mandatory, a behavior never exhibited by the Lords of the Board.

Evidently the need for experience as a high-powered beltway insider was discarded as a precondition of employment.

...and that is the most positive thing. We need someone to represent us, not the bureaucrats.

It's an upgrade as a minimum.

The announcement says Mark's retail experiance is a real asset. Look forward to the cheese club as a complement to revamped Wine Club.

Last edited:
Just skimming thread titles and this one entered my head as,

"martin baker is the new president of AOPA"

isn't that the ejection seat company?

The announcement says Mark's retail experiance is a real asset. Look forward to the cheese club as a complement to revamped Wine Club.

Wine or whine?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I did something today which I thought I would never do, I cancelled my AOPA membership. Their barrage of emails and telemarketers inquiring about about renewing my membership and updating my expired credit card was pathetic. Lets see if the FNG can right the sinking ship before It sinks completely.

My company (Lowe's) just finished the final steps of acquiring Orchard Supply. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like he had much success there either.

Executive Profile*
Mark R. Baker
Chief Executive Officer, President and Director, Orchard Supply Hardware Stores Corporation
Age 55
Total Calculated Compensation $2,063,865
As of Fiscal Year 2012

Background*
Mr. Mark R. Baker has been the President and Chief Executive Officer of Orchard Supply Hardware LLC since March 7, 2011. Mr. Baker has been the Chief Executive Officer and President of Orchard Supply Hardware Corporation since March 2011. He served as the President and Chief Operating Officer of The Scotts Company, LLC. Mr. Baker served as the President and Chief Operating Officer of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Co., from September 9, 2008 to October 2010 and oversaw all business unit and operating functions. He served as the Chief Executive Officer of Gander Mountain Co. from September 2002 to September 8, 2008 and served as its President from February 2004 to September 8, 2008. Mr. Baker served in various positions with Home Depot Inc., including Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Marketing Officer from May 1996 to August 2001. He has also held senior leadership roles at Scotty's Inc. and Homebase, Inc. Prior to Gander Mountain Co., he served as Chief Merchandising Officer and Executive Vice President of Merchandising at The Home Depot, Inc. from October 2000 to 2001. From June 1999 to October 2000, he served as Group President and Senior Vice President of Merchandising at The Home Depot Inc. From 1997 to 1999, he served as President of the Midwest Division at The Home Depot Inc. Prior to Home Depot, Mr. Baker held senior leadership positions in the retail sector, serving in various management positions for Knox Hardware and Lumber from 1980 to 1988, as Vice President of Merchandising and Marketing of Scotty's Home Improvement Centers from 1988 to 1992 and as Executive Vice President of Merchandising at Home Base from 1992 to 1996. He has been a Director of Orchard Supply Hardware LLC and of Orchard Supply Hardware Corporation. He served as a Director of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Co., from January 29, 2004 to October 2010. Mr. Baker served as an Independent Director of Gander Mountain Co., from April 2004 to September 8, 2008. He holds a bachelor's degree in geography from University of Minnesota.

As reported by Bloomberg

My company (Lowe's) just finished the final steps of acquiring Orchard Supply. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like he had much success there either.

He took over the helm of a turd loaded with debt incurred by others. In my book, the fact that Lowe's is keeping the OSH name and most of the locations says a lot.

Maybe Lowes bought OSH to get a functional inventory control system.

My nephews name is Mark Baker, sadly for me though, it is not the same Mark Baker. I'm thinking of all the free **** I could have gotten, like an AOPA hat, or perhaps a tote bag.

-John

You want them badly enough to pay postage?:p

My nephews name is Mark Baker, sadly for me though, it is not the same Mark Baker. I'm thinking of all the free **** I could have gotten, like an AOPA hat, or perhaps a tote bag.

-John

And I, just today, received the September AOPA magazine and the cover screams "The Pilot Statesman, how Craig Fuller helped unite general aviation"

After 15 minutes...when the tears of laughter finally cleared from my eyes...I had enough composure to ask "WTF are you talking about?"

And I, just today, received the September AOPA magazine and the cover screams "The Pilot Statesman, how Craig Fuller helped unite general aviation"

After 15 minutes...when the tears of laughter finally cleared from my eyes...I had enough composure to ask "WTF are you talking about?"

That is to just sugar coat the golden parachute he will receive..:mad2::mad::mad:

Yeah a new king. Are the cool kids all rejoining or do we still hate aopa?

Yeah a new king. Are the cool kids all rejoining or do we still hate aopa?

I'm on a steady diet of disgust. Don't have enough emotion for hate, but disgust is working well.

I'm not going to write them off, but unless or until the new guy impresses me with some stone cold action to the betterment of GA, I'm sticking with disgust. I could be eventually moved to neutral, or even supportive. In another AOPA thread I gave my laundry list of recommendations so I won't repeat it. Somehow I doubt the new guy will measure up.

I don't know this guy at all, but he seems to have a soft spot for taking one last flail at failing enterprises. Maybe that's relevant.

I would like to see AOPA quit entering direct competition with the commercial enterprises which have been its sponsors in the past.

I want AOPA PAC to lose its focus on funding the reelection campaigns of incumbents who are friendly to aviation on the surface but supportive of all the corruption that threatens it indirectly behind the scenes. I'm embarrassed when we look like just another entitlement-seeking special interest group. It's also why I won't join AARP.

Much of the change I'd like to see may be impossible for a new president alone to effect, but if Mr. Baker at least shows himself not to be a self-important blowhard, I'll view it as a good start.

Back