Marine Layer, a first

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Id heard a lot about it and finally experience it Friday at San Diego.
I thought "it never rains in southern california" meant it was always sunny there (nevermind, song only old guys like me would know)
The entire trip was pretty clear, and as we approached the last 50 miles of california we could see a low level layer going N & S along the coast and out to sea as far as was visible. It sure was misty and murky below, I guess it helps the greenery.

On departure out of Brown field, the clearance out of the local area kind of threw me for a loop. I think someone was trying to make us work.

There is no sid but there is an odp for ksdm so most of this is not published.

The clearance was "follow the odp", which is (this is all fr. mem.) heading 280, then intercept the mzb 120 to mzb. Then the clearance was, "after the odp, radar vectors to pgy, follow the 040 radial of pgy til intercepting the ipl 120 radial, then direct ipl, direct gbn". (fr. mem. once again) So we were back and forth on headings to vor use to gps use in the space of a few miles, down low in the clouds.

I know there were probably terps, airspace reasons for it (the international just north, Mexico a few miles south) but I could think of a few easier ways outta there!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Id heard a lot about it and finally experience it Friday at San Diego.
I thought "it never rains in southern california" meant it was always sunny there (nevermind, song only old guys like me would know)
The entire trip was pretty clear, and as we approached the last 50 miles of california we could see a low level layer going N & S along the coast and out to sea as far as was visible. It sure was misty and murky below, I guess it helps the greenery.

On departure out of Brown field, the clearance out of the local area kind of threw me for a loop. I think someone was trying to make us work.

There is no sid but there is an odp for ksdm so most of this is not published.

The clearance was "follow the odp", which is (this is all fr. mem.) heading 280, then intercept the mzb 120 to mzb. Then the clearance was, "after the odp, radar vectors to pgy, follow the 040 radial of pgy til intercepting the ipl 120 radial, then direct ipl, direct gbn". (fr. mem. once again) So we were back and forth on headings to vor use to gps use in the space of a few miles, down low in the clouds.

I know there were probably terps, airspace reasons for it (the international just north, Mexico a few miles south) but I could think of a few easier ways outta there!
One big reason why it is as it is: Otay Mesa.

Geesh Dave, guess I should have mentioned that.

I've flown the odp out of Gillespie several times; the first time I actually discussed it a bit with Clearance to confirm I had it right. From there, you depart west and do a climbing right 270. (Mountains on three sides.). So Cal can't see you on radar until about 3,000; so, you go to the 076 degree radial of Mission Bay VOR and if not given vectors by then, intercept that radial and head to the coast (which makes it a 360 turn).

Of course, what usually happens, is about 3,000 feet you get the old radar contact and are told to keep climbing and given a vector to intercept the airway, or, if VMC I will ask for direct Imperial. This is one of the few places I go where Clearance instructs me to fly the published departure procedure in my clearance.

Interesting huh? Sorry, I didn't give you a heads up. Hope your trip went well.

Best,

Dave

Back