Map of active VOR's

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
ok, this probably fits into the stupid question category......
at least it's a "rusty pilot stupid question"

I understand the program to reduce the VOR stations to a minimum network...and there's some sort of phase out that is well underway. Am I wrong that I picked up reading somewhere that this phase out is at least in part a game of attrition...I mean if a VOR breaks they just aren't rushing to fix it?...As I understand it the VOR at SGJ is one of those...notamed out of service and has been for quite some time....but it's still shown on the sectional.

Is there a map anywhere showing all the currently working VOR's? & a map of ultimately what the mi network will look like? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how extensive the VOR network is these days....or put another way, how functional would a plane with no GPS be in the IFR system?

how functional would a plane with no GPS be in the IFR system?
Functional, but quite limited in some parts of the country if not in radar contact. In my locale (Central NY) usable Victor airways are becoming more and more sparse. The current IFR system is highly GPS-centric. On one trip there were no usable VORs or airways along my preferred route due to VORs being decommissioned or out of service.

VOR Minimum Operational Network | BruceAir, LLC (bruceair.com)

I think the actual working VOR map would reflect a reliability similar to that of the food quality of a restaurant that pays their bartenders with drugs.

Maybe a bit less, because there used to be a place like that on Fuller Road in Albany that had decent food.

Back