Manure:N/A

Big Bird

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Big Bird
In the 16th and 17th centuries, most everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane. Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T" , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I had always thought it was a golf term. :goofy: :D

Big Bird said:
You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I.
The story doesn't make sense. Shipping has always been expensive. Why ship something that is readily available locally? (Then I look in the fridge and see the bottle of Fiji Water..... but then again I doubt that manure had a brand name cachet back then. Manure does in fact have a brand name today. Anybody know it?

Anyhow your story is false, see the link below.

[edit] Oops, the decency filter won't let me use the four letter commonly used word for "manure". Go to http://www.snopes.com and search for that four letter word.

I had always thought it was a golf term. :goofy: :D
Well, whenever I play golf (rarely) it is frequently heard...

-Skip

Last edited:
Big Bird said:
In the 16th and 17th centuries, most everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane. Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T" , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I had always thought it was a golf term. :goofy: :D

Does Texas city Texas 1949 mean anything to any one in this context??

A liberty ship loaded with Bat Sh-- destin for France, developed a fuel tank leak and flooded the Bat Sh--. A welder set a fire in the hold, to smother the flames the ships crew, and the local fire company buttoned up the ship. A short time later the largest non nuki blast in history occured.

I always thought of it as the largest pipe bomb ever made.

Skip Miller said:
Oops, the decency filter won't let me use the four letter commonly used word for "manure". Go to http://www.snopes.com and search for that four letter word.

Well, you could trick the filter like BB did by putting periods after each letter. Personnaly, I prefer to simply chop the top off the h, giving us "snit". Seems recognizeable enough to me B). And the Snopes story? Quite cool, I also followed it to the origins of one of my other favorite terms (a stronger one, which was all too frequent when I used to attempt to golf, before I realized I was simply torturing myself and others on the course :D ).

Skip Miller said:
The story doesn't make sense. Shipping has always been expensive. Why ship something that is readily available locally?
Anyhow your story is false, see the link below.

The origin of the word/acronym portion of the story might be false but shipping guano is not. Bird dung (and bat dung) is highly desired as a fertilizer medium due to the high nitrogen content. Bird dung has been harvested and shipped around the world since commercial shipping began.

T Bone said:
Well, you could trick the filter like BB did by putting periods after each letter. Personnaly, I prefer to simply chop the top off the h, giving us "snit". Seems recognizeable enough to me B). .

Yabut using "snit" in the link doesn't get you where you need to go.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Yabut using "snit" in the link doesn't get you where you need to go.

-Skip

And will the phrase "in a real snit" take on a different meaning?

Back