MAN, I'm angry!!!

I can recall standing outside that party hall south of the convention
center in Dallas one February during what we in Nebraska would call
a light dusting and watching one car after another slide right thru
the intersection and broadside someone. You're right .. they don't
do ice and snow well.

When I drove through Colorado Springs in the snow long ago, I drove by more cars in the ditch than I've ever seen. We'd just go by at a steady pace in my rear-wheel drive Datsun. The guess was that there were a lot of transplants from outside parts like Silicon Valley chasing the new tech jobs there.

I also noted that unlike home if you were coming out of a gas station driveway you could wait all day before someone deigned to let you enter the flow of traffic.

...We'd just go by at a steady pace....

That's the trick. You can drive any car in the snow or ice as long as you're sensible about it.

Problem is, a lot of people think that 4WD solves the world's problems - including snow, ice, and hunger. Of course, 4WD doesn't help too much when you're trying to slow down whilst sliding down a hill....

Thus, 30-40 mph is a good target speed unless you're absolutely alone and have good health insurance. Then, it's fun to see how fast you can go on black ice on a back road. That's how I learned! Basically, I had an old beat-up Jeep and my dad's permission - "Now son, there's nothing you can do that can hurt this car...." After repeatedly ending up snow banks and/or ditches, I concluded that 30-40 mph is a good speed for the snow!

When I drove through Colorado Springs in the snow long ago, I drove by more cars in the ditch than I've ever seen. We'd just go by at a steady pace in my rear-wheel drive Datsun. The guess was that there were a lot of transplants from outside parts like Silicon Valley chasing the new tech jobs there.

I also noted that unlike home if you were coming out of a gas station driveway you could wait all day before someone deigned to let you enter the flow of traffic.

or using their silicon valley stocks to buy vacation homes.

I thought the feds made the silicone mtns. be made of saline solution instead?

Back