Man 1, Bank 0 (Oldie but goodie)

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2

Man receives junk mail with "check" for 95K$+. As a joke, he deposits it. To his amazement, his account is credited with the amount on the check. And so begins this odd journey through the world of banking :)

I remember reading about this years ago, just happened to stumble upon it again, and thought it might make a fun read for everyone. Enjoy :D

wbarnhill said:
http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2

Man receives junk mail with "check" for 95K$+. As a joke, he deposits it. To his amazement, his account is credited with the amount on the check. And so begins this odd journey through the world of banking :)

I remember reading about this years ago, just happened to stumble upon it again, and thought it might make a fun read for everyone. Enjoy :D

I'm surprised this doesn't show up in Snopes as either a true story or a hoax, but I couldn't find any reference to the story there.

lancefisher said:
I'm surprised this doesn't show up in Snopes as either a true story or a hoax, but I couldn't find any reference to the story there.

Could always check the WSJ archives :)

mikea said:
You don't wanna mess unless you're professional mortgage scammer or just do a bank transfer. Mere mortals can have problems.

A guy made a deal on eBay and got a cashiers check as paymet before he shipped. He went his bank to deposit it and said, "Before you deposit this, could you tell me if it's legit? I have my suspicions." Much whispering and mumbling goes on. The cops show up, throw him against the wall, cuff him and arrest him.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/30/BUGTGKRHSF1.DTL

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
All the more reason to never, ever, deal with Bank of America.

So .. is everyone here going to cancel their AOPA credit card? Because
that's now handled thru B of A. I intend to cancel mine if this is the
way they do business.

RT

I abhor BofA because (1) the core of their empire, NCNB, was transformed in to an instant mega-bank when federal regulators declared First Republic Bank of Texas "insolvent," recharacterizing many performing assets as non-performing for that purpose, then, rather than considering a number of locally-backed and viable recap plans, instead handed the bank over to NCNB (North Carolina National Bank), free and clear of any questionable assets; their attitude towards customers and the community was arrogant and offensive at the time, and (2) they charge you money to cash a check drawn on their bank- show up, carrying a check, from one of their depositors, payable at their bank, and they want to charge you a fee for honoring the instrument.

********s.

Amazing story. I cannot believe that the words "Non Negotiable" do not make a check non-negotiable.

What about "Void"? I do that quite often....am I not really voiding my checks?

SkyHog said:
Amazing story. I cannot believe that the words "Non Negotiable" do not make a check non-negotiable.

What about "Void"? I do that quite often....am I not really voiding my checks?

Let's try it Nick. Send me a check for about $10k with void across and I'll let you know if it clears :rofl:

Didn't cancel the BoA card, but I took the scissors to it as soon as I got all my autocharges moved to another card.

Back