Malibu down near Erie airport, Colorado

Oh man.
That looks bad. Upside down and all.

Looks like nice weather at the time the video was shot.

sad.

Is the gear up?

Edit...WOTS this is a go around accident....

Last edited:
Updated story says all five on board died.

RIP

Very sad. 5 people lost! The MMOPA talks like the accident occurred during a go around, that should explain why the gear is up. I don't know the owner on this one. It also looks like he's had it since the first of the year.

It's been a really rough year for the PA46 fleet.

The article references an Oliver Frascona, a real estate attorney. That name sounded really familiar, so I Googled him, and turns out he's the same guy who taught some real estate courses when I was in Colorado Springs going to class for my real estate license about 10 years ago.

The article doesn't say he was in the plane. I hope he's okay. He was a really nice guy from what I recall.

RIP all aboard who perished. Stuff like this is just too sad... :(

Oh no - This page makes it sound like he was on board: http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/4478798/the-realtor--community-is-saddened

:( :( :(

Last edited:
...just horrible. Doesn't seem like the weather was bad (12-18mph is standard procedure where I live in central Texas)...and google maps shows plenty of bail out areas to the north and NW of the airport if the engine cut out. Upside down is never good...

This has been a rough year. I do not want to speculate but no fire....

R.I.P.

May our Lord bring piece upon thier families in these days of sorrow.

Tony

For a go around it looks like he got into a departure stall and spun in. :dunno:

Had to land at Erie a few years back coming from the wilds of New York state to Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, dropping passengers.
FSS insisted the lake would be vfr, hazy but flyable, all day. The ceiling merging with the water insisted they were wrong. I have a hard and fast rule of no IFR with passengers aboard (except wife) so we cooled our heels at Erie for 3 hours.

As far as this crash - bad, just bad. (sigh) We really are our own enemy.

Had to land at Erie a few years back coming from the wilds of New York state to Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, dropping passengers.
FSS insisted the lake would be vfr, hazy but flyable, all day. The ceiling merging with the water insisted they were wrong. I have a hard and fast rule of no IFR with passengers aboard (except wife) so we cooled our heels at Erie for 3 hours.

This accident was in Erie, Colorado. No lakes nearby, maybe ponds...

Can't get it. What was he maneuvering from, traffic or obstacle?

The other plane involved is an MMOPA member, here is his report from his departure in his Meridian. 5 People in a PA46 with their dog, high altitude, on the surface, doesn't add up. Sound like the stalled it.

A Malibu crashed at Erie County Airport in Colorado today during an aborted landing attempt. I was departing Runway 15 with an 8 knot wind out of 140 degrees and several other aircraft were either in the pattern for or had just landed on 14, including a Piper Super Cruiser that was doing a taxi-back after landing on the grass next to runway 15. After coordinating sequencing with the Super Cruiser, I announced on the CTAF frequency that I was preparing to depart 15 Erie and a Cessna in the pattern asked if I was rolling yet to which I replied "Meridian 3 Mike Sierra rolling on 15 Erie, straight out departure".

Just as I cleared the threshold and started to raise the gear, the TCAS system started to announce "Traffic - Traffic" and I yellow target appeared on the screen at my altitude ( maybe 400' AGL) and dead ahead. I deviated to the right and was told later by a pilot friend on the ground that it was a near miss for a head on collision and that the other aircraft then apparently raised it's gear in an attempt to go around but stalled and went down on the airport grounds, instantly killing 4 of the 5 on board.n:

Here is the relative post.

That poster on MMOPA who was flying the Meridian departing on runway 15 says in another post on MMOPA that a witness estimated he missed the Malibu coming in by 50 feet.

Very strange! Not talking and coming in with a tailwind. Maybe he was on the wrong frequency but straight in with a tailwind?

I watched on webtrack. It looks like the head on mentioned on AOPA.

http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

Set the time to about 11:48am.

If that is it, it doesn't appear anyone was going around.
N bound plane is at 300
S bound plane is at 500 (no idea how accurate, alt settings, etc)

S bound plane continues
N bound plane stops shortly after.

Definitely looked like one was taking off and the other landing in opposite directions.

Winds out of the NE

Departing plane has local squawk. Inbound is 1200
both show > 200mph

Last edited:
I watched on webtrack. It looks like the head on mentioned on AOPA.

http://webtrak5.bksv.com/den3

Set the time to about 11:48am.

Interesting. Here are the screencaps:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Crop.jpg
    Crop.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Sure looks like the VFR /1200 aircraft was on a high speed , low pass..:dunno:

If that is it, it doesn't appear anyone was going around.
N bound plane is at 300
S bound plane is at 500 (no idea how accurate, alt settings, etc)

S bound plane continues
N bound plane stops shortly after.

Definitely looked like one was taking off and the other landing in opposite directions.

Winds out of the NE

Departing plane has local squawk. Inbound is 1200
both show > 200mph

If one of them was talking to the TRACON, I wonder if there was a traffic call. The BJC LiveATC node would have the same frequency for TRACON services in that area as you usually get coming off Tri-County... Ahem, cough, Erie.

Haven't had te to go listen to see if the other aircraft is in that archive.

Sure looks like the VFR /1200 aircraft was on a high speed , low pass..:dunno:

Also looks consistent with the reporting Meridian pilot not seeing the Malibu visually as it was below him as he climbed out.

Why would the Meridian be taking off downwind?

The injured succumbed to their injuries. 5 fatalities now plus one dog.

The webtraks screen capture shows the "near-miss" about 3/4 mile south of the airport. The wreckage lies northwest of the airport....curious...

When I first saw the wreckage pictures with EIK's ramp in the background I thought it was a close in downwind but that doesn't make much sense in a PA-46.

If the webtraks stuff is accurate then what-in-the-heck was he doing 200 mph at 300' and 3/4 mile? "Watch this" for the girlfriend and kids?

The webtraks screen capture shows the "near-miss" about 3/4 mile south of the airport. The wreckage lies northwest of the airport....curious...

When I first saw the wreckage pictures with EIK's ramp in the background I thought it was a close in downwind but that doesn't make much sense in a PA-46.

If the webtraks stuff is accurate then what-in-the-heck was he doing 200 mph at 300' and 3/4 mile? "Watch this" for the girlfriend and kids?

Similar thoughts. A straight in gone wrong when he realized he had a ten knot tailwind and decided to go around with only 4700' of runway?

Still don't know why he'd be west of centerline though. It's a left hand pattern for 15. Weird.

Similar thoughts. A straight in gone wrong when he realized he had a ten knot tailwind and decided to go around with only 4700' of runway?

Still don't know why he'd be west of centerline though. It's a left hand pattern for 15. Weird.

nitpick - right traffic for 15 - all traffic stays west of airport to avoid housing on east side...and the Erie tower is east of the airport

Back