• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...6Y9.

Just wondering how many planes to expect.

It's worth my time... but the rules say I can't land on turf... : (

Missa

Wish we had the $$$$ to rent a plane for that long a trip. We'd love to help celebrate your airport opening.

Ed:

I think you were rather hard on yourself re the wording of Option #2. I'd bet plenty would like to be there(moi, aussi) but can't for options other than sounding cold-hearted in the Poll.

We're expecting rain again today and tomorrow, so my Skyhawk is still in Concord. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

HR

Ed,
I would love to be there, but working for the state I am limited to one weekend off per month this time of year. I have another engagement later on in August that I can not get out of. Please accept my apology.
Dean

Ed Fred, will try to make Friday before dusk. My Friday office just bulged into the afternoon. Sigh.

Well, I might be coming afterall, looks like Richard's gonna meet me here and we'll go up together.

w00t!

Lawreston said:
Ed:

I think you were rather hard on yourself re the wording of Option #2. I'd bet plenty would like to be there(moi, aussi) but can't for options other than sounding cold-hearted in the Poll.

We're expecting rain again today and tomorrow, so my Skyhawk is still in Concord. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

HR

I know that the "No" response in the poll was worded in such a way to make those that couldn't make it look bad. :)

It was meant sort of as a joke, but also sort of as a "you know things like this don't happen every day, maybe some effort should be put forth."

There are a few specific people I am disappointed in - not mentioning any names, and they don't know who they are because I haven't said anything. But the attitude just seems to be so blase towards it. It's no wonder airports are closing down almost every week/month with the ho-hum attitudes that seem to be displayed.

Student pilots, those with ridiculous rental agreements (you must have 50,000 feet paved with an ILS and 7 crosswind runways available) , or those that would need to rent a plane and spend 4 figures in rental costs, and such, I am not giving a hard time to.

bbchien said:
Ed Fred, will try to make Friday before dusk. My Friday office just bulged into the afternoon. Sigh.

I will probably go up next weekend, I will give you a "must arrive no later than xx:xx in order to be safe."

Then again maybe I'm not the one that should be giving you that info. I landed in there over an hour after sunset on memorial day weekend. :hairraise:

bbchien said:

What irony! I was distracted and read that Bruce's office hours bulged into disk, instead of bulged into dusk. Gotta admit quite funny for a pain doc.

SkyHog said:
Well, I might be coming afterall, looks like Richard's gonna meet me here and we'll go up together.

w00t!
If this plays out. I'll be there w/ Nick.

I would love to rent an airplane and fly there...But there is an array of issues that are currently preventing me from such.

Ed,

I'd come if my schedule permitted, although I'd have to land at the nearest B-52 base. ;)

N2212R said:
or those that would need to rent a plane and spend 4 figures in rental costs, and such, I am not giving a hard time to.

That is my boat, in our cheapest plane this trip would be ~$1600. This year, I just can't put out that for a quick weekend trip. next year this time, I'd to it for sure, but not now.

I still think you've done a fine thing, and are to be congratulated!:yes:

My plane won't be out of the shop in time so I'm exercising my forceful will to get Nick to agree to take his plane. So far, my plan is working and from all appearances Nick has succumbed to my irrepressable will. Bwwaaaa

I'm hopeful the sod will not be soggy upon our arrival. I'm getting excited about the trip. Cheers.

Anthony said:
Ed,

I'd come if my schedule permitted, although I'd have to land at the nearest B-52 base. ;)
Keep it going, Anthony. You and Ed are cracking me up. Bugs on the trailing edge...that was a gem.

Richard said:
snip

I'm hopeful the sod will not be soggy upon our arrival. I'm getting excited about the trip. Cheers.

I suppose that will depend on how hot the weather is en-route and how long the flight is, but if it's too hot and he gets soggy just tell him to scoot over a bit so you aren't rubbing shoulders.

101 degrees and 35 percent humidity right now. It's hot. Hopefully won't be that hot this weekend.

I'm just realizing that I haven't explicitly told the FBO to take the fairings off the plane :hairraise:! I need to do that ASAP if I hope to be allowed to take it in to the grass strip. If they can't honor my request, any chance for a ride from a nearby "sealed" field?

Why take the wheel pants off? I'm leaving mine on, is that a bad idea?

And LOL Joe. I'll be soggy either way. Fat people sweat :D

SkyHog said:

I think it'll be OK as long as you don't let me hit any buildings.

I fly in and out of there with the wheel pants on. The grass will be cut on Thursday, and we cut it down to about, oh 2-1/4" They wont even know you were on a grass field. Honest. I had no grass stains on the pants last time I was up there.

gprellwitz said:
I'm just realizing that I haven't explicitly told the FBO to take the fairings off the plane :hairraise:! I need to do that ASAP if I hope to be allowed to take it in to the grass strip. If they can't honor my request, any chance for a ride from a nearby "sealed" field?
I am flying with my pants on as well. The wheels will also have theirs on too :D:D

No reason to take them off for grass.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to spare you all from a major rant where I say more than I should, but I will shorten it to this:

It's no wonder airports all over the US are being closed up. I announced this back in February, and I have a pathetic, let me repeat pathetic seven planes showing up - that includes my plane.

For those of you who will make it, we greatly appreciate your efforts.

SkyHog said:
Quality, not quantity, Ed.

Except the nearest TV station is showing up to do a story and interviews, and it's going to look really sad with only 7 planes there.

N2212R said:
Except the nearest TV station is showing up to do a story and interviews, and it's going to look really sad with only 7 planes there.

Hmm may have to stop by the T-Shirt shop and get a 'MAG-Free Pilot' T-shirt made up :D:D

smigaldi said:
Hmm may have to stop by the T-Shirt shop and get a 'MAG-Free Pilot' T-shirt made up :D:D

Oh, if you do, you have to get me one too!!!!

SkyHog said:
Not necessarily a bad idea, but my club doesn't allow landing on grass strips without special dispensation. I wasn't able to find an instructor willing to even fly with me to evaluate it for the Gaston's trip, so they just took the pants off to minimize chances of damage. (They say it had nothing to do with my flying, and I choose to believe them! :rofl::rofl: ) I'm presuming they'll want the same for 6Y9. That presumes, of course, that they consider the trip long enough to justify the expense. Hence my request for a pickup at a local airport, just in case! I really want to avoid that, to keep the aircraft count up!

SkyHog said:
I'm there. Sizes guys? I'll make them at the mall before I go.
Usually small for me...unless of course it's some really weird small for women/kids/everyone... I'll definitely give you some $$$ for it.

OK Ed,

I'm a 90% probability for attending 6Y9's Grand Opening. The last 10% is up to Mother Nature.

Please post a runway condition pirep on Friday the 4th. There's been a lotta rain up there, lately. Cleaning mud from my wheelwells is my least favorite job.

What time does the celebration begin on Saturday?

Gary

Gary Miesch said:
OK Ed,

I'm a 90% probability for attending 6Y9's Grand Opening. The last 10% is up to Mother Nature.

Please post a runway condition pirep on Friday the 4th. There's been a lotta rain up there, lately. Cleaning mud from my wheelwells is my least favorite job.

What time does the celebration begin on Saturday?

Gary

Will attempt to. Cell coverage up there is spotty. Regarding mud. Not a factor. Sandy soil. LAst year I was up there over 4th of July. It rained ALL day on the day I was going to leave. Didn't leave till the next day and I had a minimal amount of junk on my wheels. It is supposed to be dry from now till Saturday, so 3 solid days of drying will make it just dandy.

Back