Making aviation network connections at an airport/FBO

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
There is a thread recently about a person wanting to get a job at an FBO and how others here stating it is a great way to build up your aviation network to find a better aviation or piloting job down the road. To me I feel making aviation connections at an airport is a little bit risky.

What would happen if an FBO/airport employee makes a network contact with a pilot or other aviation professional? Would the employee's boss happen to be friends with the contact person that the employee is making? Is there a chance that the employee's boss would find out that he is looking for a better job? Is building up your network even a sign that you are looking for another job?

Anyways, my main point is that I think since aviation is a small world, if an employee is making connections at the same airport or FBO the employee is working at, there is a chance that the employee's boss would find out somehow. If the employee wants to make connections I think the best way in my opinion would be for him to do it at an airport or other places where he does not work at. That is just my opinion and concerns for networking at the same place you work at.

You worry too much, about, everything.

And you are completely off base on this.

Working at an FBO it is expected,that you would be looking for a better job.

Do you understand what networking is? It's not walking up to every guy on the ramp and saying "I'm looking for a better job". It's simply being there, getting to know people by name and getting them to know your name. Doing your job well, and being a professional. All things that your boss expects you to do, but that also make an impression with other potential employers that they will remember WHEN you do go looking for another job.

Do you understand what networking is? It's not walking up to every guy on the ramp and saying "I'm looking for a better job". It's simply being there, getting to know people by name and getting them to know your name. Doing your job well, and being a professional. All things that your boss expects you to do, but that also make an impression with other potential employers that they will remember WHEN you do go looking for another job.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I thought if you are building up your connections meant you are looking for another job. I guess making connections and job searching are two different things.

When I got my last FBO job I intentionally didn't mention that I was a CFI for this very reason. I made connections fast and was out after only 3 months. If they would have asked if I was a pilot I would have said yes however.

There is a thread recently about a person wanting to get a job at an FBO and how others here stating it is a great way to build up your aviation network to find a better aviation or piloting job down the road. To me I feel making aviation connections at an airport is a little bit risky.

What would happen if an FBO/airport employee makes a network contact with a pilot or other aviation professional? Would the employee's boss happen to be friends with the contact person that the employee is making? Is there a chance that the employee's boss would find out that he is looking for a better job? Is building up your network even a sign that you are looking for another job?

Anyways, my main point is that I think since aviation is a small world, if an employee is making connections at the same airport or FBO the employee is working at, there is a chance that the employee's boss would find out somehow. If the employee wants to make connections I think the best way in my opinion would be for him to do it at an airport or other places where he does not work at. That is just my opinion and concerns for networking at the same place you work at.

Do you work at an FBO in North Korea? You're allow to talk to your customers.

Often at a job like at an FBO to network and get into a better job...it will not be the person looking to hire that you need to impress...it is all the other people that you work with and make contact with so you are the first one that pops into their mind when others are looking for a referral of people to hire.

When I am looking for a new person in my firm, I do not post a job listing...I solicit referrals from others that I trust and know what kind of person would fit with us.

Develop relationships with all kinds of people in the industry.

Back