Making an honest buck

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I've got a stack of literally 12 different notices that I must respond immediately to protect my new mortgage. I get one or two in the mailbox each day or so. They all have the name of the mortgage company and the amount of the loan. They all have return envelopes addressed as, "Mortgage Protection Office, P.O. Box something, Somewhere Florida"

Only one actually says it's from a real insurance company.

There's no shortage of shady businesses, I guess. I can imagine that elderly people could end up with multiple "mortgage protection policies."

I'm tempted to fill each and every envelope with my response having to do with any and all on that end dying in a fire.

I got nailed with those. Some show up in the fashion of federal mail with the manilla envelope and even have an official-looking name and return address. I really hate those. It's wearing out my shredder something awful!

I have had my house for almost 14 years and I still get them. I am thinking of paying off the mortgage balance this year and I wonder if I will get them even after there is not a mortgage.

I have had my house for almost 14 years and I still get them. I am thinking of paying off the mortgage balance this year and I wonder if I will get them even after there is not a mortgage.
No, you'll get a constant barrage of equity loan offers.

Yup Mike its a world of vultures out there. And your dead on about the elderly.

They've got postage paid return envelopes? Tape 'em to a brick and send 'em back. I hate those people. They keep filling my mailbox with junk, too, and we've been in this house for almost 11 years.

I got nailed with those. Some show up in the fashion of federal mail with the manilla envelope and even have an official-looking name and return address. I really hate those. It's wearing out my shredder something awful!

Several of the ones I got at the beginning of this year were designed to look like official tax forms (like a W2 or 1099), even having a form number on it, boxes with numbers and amounts, etc.

That should be illegal. I hate having new laws all the time, but as somebody higher up in this thread said, there are people (elderly or not as "bright") who get taken advantage of by this. If a company can't pitch its offer in a normal letter, if they have to disguise it to look like official government or legal paperwork that needs immediate attention "or else", then they're marketing sleeze-balls.

My sister-in-law got trapped by a magazine subscription company this way. She cancelled with them, but now they're taking money (auto-debit) out of her checking account every month under a DIFFERENT company's name that they control. Bank tells her to call them and cancel again and warn them that the bank will file a fraud suit. Guess what? 800 # is always busy, or you're left on hold FOREVER. No other contact info. I hate scams.

Did I say I hate scams?

Several of the ones I got at the beginning of this year were designed to look like official tax forms (like a W2 or 1099), even having a form number on it, boxes with numbers and amounts, etc.
Those are exactly the ones I'm referring to.

Did I say I hate scams?
Have you ever gotten a check in the mail with little or no paperwork? But, it has the fine print above the endorsement line where by depositing the check you agree to the contents of that fine print?

A few times, I've gotten those which offer me credit life insurance. Most are sent to my business name from an independent phone book publisher. I can see where many receptionists or others will simply take out the the check, stamp it and add it to a deposit pile. Suddenly, the company is unknowingly advertising in a phone book and charged exorbitant rates for which there is no out.

Back