Making a Murderer - Netflix

Had the kid plead guilty, he would be working towards his release right now.

Brian Williams and Lester Holt said every word in this video.
It's possible some of the words they left out might have also been significant. ;)

Love that video. But that's not what happened here. Video was shot and played full. Was every bit played? No, 10 videos was more than enough. It'd take a thousand to show it ALL.

Prosecution and the victims family were invited and THEY declined. The videos are as good as you're going to get and do not have a lot of editorial manipulation.

They've even Said the documentary isn't about Mr. Avery. It's bigger than that.

It's possible some of the words they left out might have also been significant. ;)

It's certainly possible that video editing can create sentences that were never uttered. Are you claiming that is what happened in this series? What facts did the producers fabricate and present? Are there any facts recounted in the series that the prosecutors now dispute occurred? The only arguments I have seen is that other facts were omitted.

Love that video. But that's not what happened here. Video was shot and played full. Was every bit played? No, 10 videos was more than enough. It'd take a thousand to show it ALL.

Prosecution and the victims family were invited and THEY declined. The videos are as good as you're going to get and do not have a lot of editorial manipulation.

They've even Said the documentary isn't about Mr. Avery. It's bigger than that.
You've seen a few hours out of a six week long trial. If all your information comes from the series, you know as much about Avery as you know about what kind of person The Situation is in real life.

You've seen a few hours out of a six week long trial.

True.

If all your information comes from the series, you know as much about Avery as you know about what kind of person The Situation is in real life.

But that is not what you said originally that I disagree with. You keep conflating issues.

My cousin has been asking me to download this Netflix. He said I can watch new movies. I don't have time to watch so I'm not considering it yet.

Had the kid plead guilty, he would be working towards his release right now.

Maybe. There was some reference to that in the final episode when his appeals attorneys mentioned a "gentleman's agreement" in the original trial that was rescinded because the kid, probably unwittingly, didn't play along.

Maybe if the kid had an attorney that didn't appear so intent on convicting his own client things would have been completely different, too.

I'm sure, with all the publicity this Netflix series has drawn, that there will be plenty of news when the next appeal ruling comes out. I'm interested.

What facts did the producers fabricate and present? Are there any facts recounted in the series that the prosecutors now dispute occurred? The only arguments I have seen is that other facts were omitted.

Yes, that's the question. I've seen many people, on many message boards, saying that we're only getting half the story and they are guilty. But no one has been able to point to the other half. It seems like these people just have a lot of confidence in the justice system to always get it right, so even though the crime simply cannot have happened in the way the state argued in the Avery case these people kind of conjure up from nothing that there *must* be facts not presented in the mini-series.

The state argued that the victims throat was cut in the bedroom and she was shot in the head in the garage. There is simply no way that these happened. Jury's have broad discretion, but in this case they found Avery guilty of a crime that could not have been committed as the state argued and that is *wrong*.

You've seen a few hours out of a six week long trial. If all your information comes from the series, you know as much about Avery as you know about what kind of person The Situation is in real life.

I've not watched a single minute of The Situation and I'm gonna go on a limb and say I bet he's a total tool.

gYIrc.gif

It absolutely does not mean conspiring with your hired investigator to manipulate your client to confess unwillingly to a murder. These things are so shocking to me that I wonder how the attorney still has a license to practice law.

Yeah, that was my take as well. It just felt...sleezy. He and the investigator almost seemed giddy about it, too. Even if his intent was to have him plead guilty so he *could* get out earlier and not go to trial, then he should've clearly stated that to the parents and the kid. Based on their understandings and reactions recorded in the phone calls to each other, they never understood what was going on with that first lawyer.

Yeah, that was my take as well. It just felt...sleezy. He and the investigator almost seemed giddy about it, too. Even if his intent was to have him plead guilty so he *could* get out earlier and not go to trial, then he should've clearly stated that to the parents and the kid. Based on their understandings and reactions recorded in the phone calls to each other, they never understood what was going on with that first lawyer.

When the attorney hired the investigator to get the kid to write a confession, then counseling him to draw the picture bigger so it could have more detail and more effect I was scratching my head as to why. Then the guy calls the police to set up an interview the next day, yeah a Saturday, I know it's an inconvenience for you, but he wants to confess to you. At the point where the police interrupt their weekend to interview him WITHOUT HIS LAWYER THERE I'm wanting to reach through the tv screen to strangle the lawyer and his investigator.

Later, the judge says yeah, the kid had incompetent counsel, but we're still going to allow the confession that his own incompetent lawyer had him write. Nothing in the 10-part series bothered me as much as this.

I can't be the only person who occasionally thinks, "if our founding fathers could see what we've done to what they put in writing..."

When the attorney hired the investigator to get the kid to write a confession, then counseling him to draw the picture bigger so it could have more detail and more effect I was scratching my head as to why. Then the guy calls the police to set up an interview the next day, yeah a Saturday, I know it's an inconvenience for you, but he wants to confess to you. At the point where the police interrupt their weekend to interview him WITHOUT HIS LAWYER THERE I'm wanting to reach through the tv screen to strangle the lawyer and his investigator.

Later, the judge says yeah, the kid had incompetent counsel, but we're still going to allow the confession that his own incompetent lawyer had him write. Nothing in the 10-part series bothered me as much as this.

I can't be the only person who occasionally thinks, "if our founding fathers could see what we've done to what they put in writing..."

No kidding. When did we come off the rails? This is so blatant any 7th grader in social studies could find a dozen glaring problems.

Back