Make WinXP boot disk?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I right click a CD or a DVD on this XP desktop, there is no option to either format, or Create an MS-DOS startup disk, as it says in the Help Guide on the computer.
This is seen right clicking the disk on My Computer, and when opening the disk icon and selecting File.
The manual seems to think it should be there.

Upgrade impossible due to proprietary software.
Expensive software. That is why I am trying to clone the computer to an identical (blank) one.

Upgrade impossible due to proprietary software.
Expensive software. That is why I am trying to clone the computer to an identical (blank) one.
P2V it, then you can run it anywhere. Hyper-V is included with Win 8 and above and you can run it as a VM. Just google P2V. It is a pretty easy process.

looks cool, but not for the casual end-user
sending to IT dude
It is way easier than trying to replicate on different hardware, considering, there may not even be drivers available for newer hardware for Windows XP. If you do replicate to different hardware, there are tools, like Acronis for doing that, but like I said, if it is newer hardware, there is a good change there will be missing driver support and you won't succeed.

It is way easier than trying to replicate on different hardware, considering, there may not even be drivers available for newer hardware for Windows XP. If you do replicate to different hardware, there are tools, like Acronis for doing that, but like I said, if it is newer hardware, there is a good change there will be missing driver support and you won't succeed.

Trying to follow along with the terminology, John but I don't know much about tech things so I may miss what you are saying.
Easier? I guess I'll let the IT guy decide which way to go; he is honest and capable and I wouldn't feel competent to give input on which method.
It is not new hardware.
The disk has been wiped, arrived with no OS so yes, it is missing all the drivers. (But can't you just load drivers from online sites as needed?) In any case if we are doing a mirror or clone of a computer, I'd think every last byte is being replicated including drivers, no?
Thank you.

Trying to follow along with the terminology, John but I don't know much about tech things so I may miss what you are saying.
Easier? I guess I'll let the IT guy decide which way to go; he is honest and capable and I wouldn't feel competent to give input on which method.
It is not new hardware.
The disk has been wiped, arrived with no OS so yes, it is missing all the drivers. (But can't you just load drivers from online sites as needed?) In any case if we are doing a mirror or clone of a computer, I'd think every last byte is being replicated including drivers, no?
Thank you.
There is a physical to virtual (P2V) tool that will pretty much automagically make an image of the computer that can be run as a virtual machine (VM) on a Hyper-V or, alternately, a VMWare host. Windows XP is a 15 year old operating system. Hardware manufacturers have not been making drivers for it for a long, long time. Even a moderately used computer, probably would be missing driver support. I am sure your IT guy will know what to do.

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/using-disk2vhd-for-physical-to-virtual-conversions-p2v/

Last edited:
Back