Maintenance Services in Exchange for Training

Bergitor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bergitor
I was wondering if it's viable to offer a CFI that might own his own plane maintenance services from myself, an A&P, in exchange for flight time. And what arrangements, if any are common place. I.E. I'd pay for fuel cost but he wouldn't charge me for time or some such.

I'm just curious if anyone has gone that route and what the established conventions might be for something like that.

Whatever you agree on.

How will you be insured if you provide maintenance services for him?

I'd have to look into insurance, perhaps set up an LLC or something and insure my work through that.

To be honest, it's not something I've considered.

I used to know someone who set up a similar deal to get his PPL. The guy was just paying for fuel and the rest would be "free."
I don't know much more details than that.

I'd have to look into insurance, perhaps set up an LLC or something and insure my work through that.

A LLC does nothing to shield you from the result of your actions. Only insurance will do that.
A&P liability insurance is silly expensive, you would be better off paying cash for your instruction.

To be honest, it's not something I've considered.

Your best defense is being broke. That is why young flight instructors dont worry much about getting sued for 'negligent instruction. yet a institution like the University of North Dakota foundation had to fight a 15mil suit for many years.
Few people sue an asset-less young A&P, they allways try to go after the manufacturer or parts provider. You have to assess how high your risk tolerance is.

I was wondering if it's viable to offer a CFI that might own his own plane maintenance services from myself, an A&P, in exchange for flight time. And what arrangements, if any are common place. I.E. I'd pay for fuel cost but he wouldn't charge me for time or some such.

I'm just curious if anyone has gone that route and what the established conventions might be for something like that.

It's been done. Our A&P has wracked up a pocket full of ratings (airplane and helicopter) and most have been in exchange for his work on the aircraft used.

It's been done. Our A&P has wracked up a pocket full of ratings (airplane and helicopter) and most have been in exchange for his work on the aircraft used.

And of course he claimed the flight time as income and reported it on his tax return.....lol. :D

Yes I do this with 2 of my CFI friends. The proper method is to bill each other at a proper rate for each of your services. Keep good records, and do not take advantages of each other.

I did a 100 hour on a 170-A, my labor is free to him, but he pays for all parts and supplies.

isn't there alot of debate around logging flight time because its considered compensation under Part 61.113... ?

if an A&P can provide services in exchange for flight time.. I wonder if I can provide computer services to an FBO for flight training as well?

I am asking because I have been working on creating software for FBO's.... and Also looking to save money on my Instrument rating.

No issues as you are not being compensated for flying, you are being compensated with flying. I paid nothing out of pocket when I did my multi.

No issues as you are not being compensated for flying, you are being compensated with flying. I paid nothing out of pocket when I did my multi.

Plus the plane owner is the CFI in this equation, he can be compensated however he wishes for his CFI duties.

Thanks gents. I'll have to look into finding some one I can work out a deal with I suppose.

Back