Maintenance Logs in the plane?

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
This is related to Lance's emergency landing thread (nice job, BTW, WOW!)

Anyway, you stated that the Feds came and wanted to make sure all paperwork was in order, etc. etc. Did they ask to see the maintenance logs, or did you have them handy to show? Are you required to show them? Are you required to carry them in the plane with you? What's the rule on this?

Thanks,
Matt

mattaxelrod said:
This is related to Lance's emergency landing thread (nice job, BTW, WOW!)

Anyway, you stated that the Feds came and wanted to make sure all paperwork was in order, etc. etc. Did they ask to see the maintenance logs, or did you have them handy to show? Are you required to show them? Are you required to carry them in the plane with you? What's the rule on this?

Thanks,
Matt
You are not required to carry any logs, either aircraft or pilot, with you (except for students with endorsements). And it's much better to keep them someplace safe. If the feds want to see them you can produce them at a later time.

Matt:

As Bob said, you have to have your AROW stuff; pilot's license and current medical. Logs are what Bob said. Most folks I know don't carry logs in the plane for many reasons. Of course, when you travel outside the country there are additional requirements. I don't even give my maintence logs to my mechanic; he has a copy and I put the entries in my originals.

Dave

For my own plane I usually I keep them all in a safe place such as....in the bedroom. Its now a large zippered binder about 8" thick. (yeah Im a packrat)
When I go on very long trips I bring everything, all logs, parts and service manuals- it can help you if you have a mx issue a long way from home. I guess a photocopy of everything would be safer but how tedious.

Let'sgoflying! said:
For my own plane I usually I keep them all in a safe place such as....in the bedroom. Its now a large zippered binder about 8" thick. (yeah Im a packrat)
When I go on very long trips I bring everything, all logs, parts and service manuals- it can help you if you have a mx issue a long way from home. I guess a photocopy of everything would be safer but how tedious.

Dave:

My A-36 logs are actually available on the web. So, when travelin, I could get to them if need be. For the Baron, they're on our network which I can get remote access to or have them sent to me. Originals locked in a file cabinet.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Dave:

My A-36 logs are actually available on the web. So, when travelin, I could get to them if need be. For the Baron, they're on our network which I can get remote access to or have them sent to me. Originals locked in a file cabinet.

Dave

That's an excellent idea. Your idea has been stolen, and I'll get the logs to my Cherokee available remotely as well.

Thx!

NickDBrennan said:
That's an excellent idea. Your idea has been stolen, and I'll get the logs to my Cherokee available remotely as well.
Thx!

How can you guys do this? I have ~8 log books, a couple of hundred pages in each manual, many hundreds of pages from manufacturers and repairshops plus the AD text (the airplane isnt that bad!; I include all the ADs that show up on searches even if they don't apply just to save the next guy time)
Anyway its a huge document that would take days to scan and process. I can't imagine how many mB it would end up to be. I am guessing you are only scanning recent logs or AD summaries?

Patience my friend. Small steps over four years yield detailed results Grasshopper!!

Ha!! Actually, I've just scanned recent books to which I might need to refer. The older ones are still kept safe in the file cabinet, but, I know guys that have scanned everything. There is even an on-line service one can pay for that safe guards the scanned copies.

Dave

Back