Maintaining IFR Currency using airplane and sim time

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
I have been reading 61.57c(4) and my head is spinning....

Maybe some of you smarter people can help me out. Assuming the following situation:

1. I shot 3 approaches with a hold in actual in a airplane on March 15, 2016 by myself. I was obviously IFR current then. They were legal IFR approaches according to the new definition.

2. Tomorrow I grab an instructor, and because my plane is down because of a annual, we use a Redbird Sim and shoot 3 more approaches. I am still IFR current at this time.

When does my currency expire?

The confusion is in regards to what happens when you combine airplane and sim experience to maintain currency.

Thanks for the help before my brain explodes!

I believe there is no separation and you can combine them. Your currency would expire when you no longer had 6 approaches (airplane+Sim) in the last 6 months

I believe there is no separation and you can combine them. Your currency would expire when you no longer had 6 approaches (airplane+Sim) in the last 6 months

That - They can be combined. Done all in one or all in the other. It is a rolling 6 months so if you only did 3 in the SIM, the 3 from March 15th would roll off first.

Ok, that is what I thought but the regs made it sound like you had to do 6 in a sim if you are using any of those for currency. I guess I'm not smart enough to understand government speak.

Thanks!

Any combination of plane/sim counts. Also holding and intercepting/tracking navigation courses part of it too .

Back