Maintaining composite airplane.

goldman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
goldman
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to composite kits, currently evaluating few kits for purchase. I'm leaning towards Glasair II. I have few basic questions, which bugs me.

So, say the autopilot servo on the composite aircraft failed. What do you do then: cut the area on the wind, replace it, then restore? I assume you are not going to order a new wing from your kit manufacturer?

Glasair folks, how you maintain your airframe over time? What type of issues happen over time with the composite airframe?

Where do you store your aircraft: hangar? on the field?

Thanks! G.

You need to find the forum or forums specific to these great planes. Here you'll get one of two owners, maybe a builder, and a lot of guesses based on third hand 'knowledge'...

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to composite kits, currently evaluating few kits for purchase. I'm leaning towards Glasair II. I have few basic questions, which bugs me.

So, say the autopilot servo on the composite aircraft failed. What do you do then: cut the area on the wind, replace it, then restore? I assume you are not going to order a new wing from your kit manufacturer?

Glasair folks, how you maintain your airframe over time? What type of issues happen over time with the composite airframe?

Where do you store your aircraft: hangar? on the field?

Thanks! G.

You can access the servos through the inspection plates on the bottom of the wing. Not sure how difficult to remove one but they are accessible.

There are no real issues with maintaining the composite structure. The airframe comes coated with a thick gloss gelcoat. Only maintenance necessary is buffing the gelcoat or paint, once it becomes oxidized. Obviously leaving it out in the sun will speed up the oxidation process. Control push pull tubes are all painted or powder coated. At least mine were.

Mine is stored in a hanger. Doesn't matter if it's composite or metal, unless you have a complete aircraft cover, leaving an aircraft sitting on a ramp is never good for an aircraft.

With regard to your specific questions I have to say a composite airframe is not different than an aluminum one. Servos can be replaced no differently from an aluminum structure. I think if you study composite structure a little you would realize they are no mystery. In the case of skin damage on a composite, the repair would be very different from traditional structures. However, it really isn't difficult and can be done competently by anyone with a little experience working fibreglass and resin.
As for maintainable on Glasairs it really depends on which one. RG, FT, Glasair I, II, or III? The RG gear systems take maintainable like any other retractable. The FT Glasairs and TD for that matter have a tendency toward gear sag as they are composite gear legs. Many have replaced the gear legs with aluminum gear from Grove. The early Glasairs can have some issues with the canopy doors because if damaged or lost in flight(it has happened) they have to be custome made for the specific aircraft as they were cut from the fuselage to make them rather than a premodern canopy that the newer models have. Hope this helps. If you have other specific questions about Glasair's I can probably help. Composite questions possibly as well.

As for storage, I would never keep my Glasair on a ramp for extended periods. Glass airplanes can get UV damage, and if they get too hot you can get deformations etc. I know of some that have been ramp kept but I wouldn't own it if it had. My two cents.

Hangar it, aside from that look at all the glass gliders out there, they are doing fine.

I hope you're getting a RG glasair, a fixed gear glasair is like a Corvette with a lift kit and off road tires, just defeats the point.

If you can't hangar the airplane ,have custom covers made,to keep the sun off. Also keep the aircraft waxed.

I have owned just over 60 aircraft and can honestly say that the Glasair III is my favorite airplane to fly. I just finished a trip with my wife from NE Indiana to SW Florida and back and it was a nice ride.

The wing loading is 28/lb per foot which gives you a great ride in bumps and the ability to descend at 245 knots indicated and 6k per minute down and still be in the green arc is very nice. It is a very easy plane to fly, but it does get interesting when the engine power is removed as the descent rates are high. Mine has the long wingtips, so it is more docile.

Anyway, with a well-built plane maintenance is not very intense and replacing items like autopilots servos is the same as any plane. With the Glasair they are in the wing and serviceable through inspection plates. I am going through an avionics upgrade right now. Removing a 530/430 combination and installing a G3X touch GTN650 with Garmin autopilot as well. Lots of advantages to having an experimental when it comes to avionics.

Back