Maine-iacs - RFI, please!

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
My wife and I are thinking about going up to Maine in the Fall - I don't know nothin' about going to Maine for the Fall.
no.gif

Ideas? Best places? (LEAVES, you know!) Best time? Things to do? Things to NOT do? Places to MISS? What to take? What to leave?

Thanks, y'all!
smile.gif

CAMDEN slightly north of Rockland. You can park the plane at the airport. More likely than not, you won't be charged for overnight parking. I'd suggest the Blackberry Inn. It is a bed and breakfast. Check out the website.
As for when the best time to go is, probably mid to late september.

Oh man, here we go.

Gadabout Gaddis on the Kennebec river- 2000 feet ending in the river, good GRASS strip, right in the middle of the foliage.

Machias ME. Rent a car from the Ford Dealer (he comes to get you) eat at Helen's, on the harbor, drive to the Rooseveldt's summer estate and tour: How the robber barons lived at the turn of the century. Campobello is acutally a Canadian territory, jointly maintained by the US Park Service and the Province of Nova Scotia- you might need a passport to re-enter, in this TSA centered age (don't get me going).

Bar Harbor. Eat at ANY lobstah pound. Drive up Cadillac Mountain at sunrise. Popovers at Jordan Pond House (in Acadia). Supper at popplestones' in Southwest Harbor.

Go see how Henry Hickley builds the touring Mahogany sailing ships as his grandfather once did, SW Harbor, ME.

Land on Isleboro (in the Penobscot Bay) and see the wooden ship building trade.
Or, go to a real working harbor, Stonington ME (accessable by bridge from the mainland).

If you're there early enough after Labor Day, take a day cruise on the Nathaniel Bowditch (a real working bark).

Maine Maritime Academy, in Castine.

Mt. Katahdin in Baxter State Park.

My fingers are tired.

Thanks for the tips! This is the stuff I'm lookin' for here! :D

We'll likely be driving, NOT flying... can't see M. getting in a little plane to fly across the country. Heck, I can't get her to the coast of NC! :eek: But I still love 'er! :yes:

Isleboro is slightly north of Rockland also. If I recall, John Travolta has a place there. One of his jets was parked in Rockland the last time we were up there. It has a nice little airport, just resurfaced, but I don't think they allow overnight parking. You can catch a ferry from the mainland for a day trip. If you bring the car, you'll find the return trip at the end of the day is pretty full so plan accordingly (like not for the last trip).
Nice lighthouses in Maine. That whole area has quite a few you can see from the air. Touring the Penobscott and Bar Harbour area by plane is pretty nice.

Thanks for the tips! This is the stuff I'm lookin' for here! :D

We'll likely be driving, NOT flying... can't see M. getting in a little plane to fly across the country. Heck, I can't get her to the coast of NC! :eek: But I still love 'er! :yes:
Tom, Skylane is IDEAL for Maine. IT'll be unparalled during foliage season....

I forgot about Grand Manan Island, which you can't get to in a car. Good grass strip- home to all the Puffins!

Tom;
If you drive through Ma, drop in on me. I'll give you a tour of Ma. We have a nice fall foliage season, though usually early to mid October. NC is only 22 hours away (by car; half that by air!); a trip we do in the fall with a stop in Salisbury, Md.

The Bar Harbor/Rockland area is GORGEOUS. KT Aviation is a neat little FBO on a lake/grass strip (NW of Bangor, E of Glenburn) that specializes in tailwheel and seaplane flying. Don't bother with Augusta...nothing to see here (though Big G's Deli in Waterville /Winslow has the BEST sandwiches in the history of sandwiches)!

I always thought that the stories of the colors in New England were overstated...this past fall in NH/ME was the most incredible thing I've ever seen, you'll love it! Let me know when you're going to be here, hopefully the fiance and I will still be around.

Bruce, that's Hinckley. :eek:)

Tom: on your way to Bruce's tours land at Wiscasset KIWI. I'll pick you up, take y'all to Taste of Maine(only several miles from the airport). And better, my guest room in Georgetown is awaiting any PoA. I'm 12.5sm from the airport(or just 8sm this side of Taste of Maine. All I need is a day or two prior notice.

HR

Tom,

Bar Harbor. It's where it is at. I prefer the Cranberry Isles off the coast of Northeast Harbor, but the experience can be more rustic than not in the fall (as the restaurant and store close on the island). Acadia is a breathtakingly beautiful place in fall, and it is my favorite spot on the entire earth. Wherever I am, Acadia will always be my home.

I can give you reams of leads on house rentals, hotels, etc. You will LOVE it.

And bag the drive up Cadillac. Hike it, it's a pretty straightforward hike. Plan on about 2 hours to summit.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Tom: ......... and in view of your driving here(now that I've read the other information after I had posted) just after you come over the bridge(Bath), where you can see the next U. S. Navy ship(s), turn right at Dairy Queen. I'm 7sm toward the ocean(but y'can't see it from my hill and trees).

HR

Tom,

Bar Harbor. It's where it is at. I prefer the Cranberry Isles off the coast of Northeast Harbor, but the experience can be more rustic than not in the fall (as the restaurant and store close on the island). Acadia is a breathtakingly beautiful place in fall, and it is my favorite spot on the entire earth. Wherever I am, Acadia will always be my home.

I can give you reams of leads on house rentals, hotels, etc. You will LOVE it.

And bag the drive up Cadillac. Hike it, it's a pretty straightforward hike. Plan on about 2 hours to summit.

Cheers,

-Andrew

It's been 30 years since I've been there, but as a confirmed left coast lover, I have to admit that the coast of Maine is fantastic. And, hike to the top of Cadillac. I've done it twice and it's worth it. Not difficult and the views are great.

And Bruce is right, any lobstah pound will do. But don't skip this!

You'll have a great time. Maine is beautiful.

Well, here's something to stun ya... I mean, it stunned ME!

We were talking about the trip and I mentioned that I would have to get at least ONE flight in while we were there so I could add a state to my landings map. And then I slipped in, "we could fly up there, you know!" (heheheh...) knowing full well that she was not gonna be gettin' in no plane with the likes of me, flying up to Maine, for cryin' out loud! And then she was quiet for a few seconds and said, "Maybe so. Figure out how much that would cost." Whoa.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

I think, probably, that getting a roomette on the train might be the better deal, but still!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back