Maine destinations

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My wife has said it's Maine, via Woody.
So I pulled out a randmcnally and I have no clue from where to base ourselves for a couple of days. She wants to see the coast is as much detail as I have.
We won't go where there are crowds either. The N coast looks more isolated.
I think we'll rent a car for 3-4 days and stay in motels/hotels, whatever is available. Hiking and scenery is good. No boats, not interested in fishing, don't like seafood, allergic to shellfish too, thanks.
So any ideas which town/airport to go to?

After a couple of days I will be fidgety and will push to visit PEI, Nova Scotia and maybe Quebec City.

The area around Acadia is nice, pick and choose to avoid crowds.

I sure loved Katahdin, very few people, remote, hiking trails with moose and other critters.

Along the coast, the further north you can get, the better.

wsuffa said:
The area around Acadia is nice, pick and choose to avoid crowds.

I sure loved Katahdin, very few people, remote, hiking trails with moose and other critters.

Along the coast, the further north you can get, the better.
Cadillac Mtn. on Mount Desert Isle.
Young's Lobstah Pound in Belfast (Penobscot bay).
Campobello Island at Eastport (Fly into Machias, rent a ford from the Car Dealer, be careful of the short crowned runway- get it stopped in 2000, the rest is downhill).
Mt. Katahdin
Gadabout Gaddis have a sandwich on the Kennebec.
Sail aboard the Nathaniel Bowditch out of Camden for an afternoon.
Grand Manan Isl (which is Canadian) to see the puffins.
Charlottetown PEI to see the Senator Donald Montgomery house, childhood home of the author of Anne of Green Gables.
Rt. 1 in Damariscotta to the Round Top Farm for the best ice cream in the lower 48.
Sullivan ME- the reversing falls (go at rising tide).

Let'sgoflying! said:
After a couple of days I will be fidgety and will push to visit PEI, Nova Scotia and maybe Quebec City.

Hi Dave, I'm basically doing that route the first week in September, weather permitting. Flying from here to Quebec City and spend a day there, then on to Halifax for a day there, then on to Sydney, NS, rent a car and drive to Louisburg. For Quebec City stay at the Chateau Frontenac, Halifax has many choices, in Louisburg stay at the "Cranberry Cove Inn", built/owned and operated by a couple from California.

We decided against PEI as apart from Anne of Green Gables, there's farms, and beaches and golf.

Back