Mail to all in outlook

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
At work, we use Microsoft Outlook 2003, ver 11.6359.6408 SP1

The global address list has about 2000 entries, all Comcast employees. Is there a shortcut to send an email to everyone in the list without adding each one, or trying to select all of them? Selecting all recipients locks up Outlook before they can be added. I'm looking for a [All] or something like that.

Anyone know of any feature like that?

NickDBrennan said:
At work, we use Microsoft Outlook 2003, ver 11.6359.6408 SP1

The global address list has about 2000 entries, all Comcast employees. Is there a shortcut to send an email to everyone in the list without adding each one, or trying to select all of them? Selecting all recipients locks up Outlook before they can be added. I'm looking for a [All] or something like that.

Anyone know of any feature like that?
I think the Exchange admins have to create the list on the server. There are some tools that will keep it auto updated.

We don't have an ALL Employees address because it was being used by clueless users ("Can anybody cover me on Friday?"), in our case it would be >100K of addresses, and it served as an attractive target for a lucky automailing email worm.

mikea said:
I think the Exchange admins have to create the list on the server. There are some tools that will keep it auto updated.

We don't have an ALL Employees address because it was being used by clueless users ("Can anybody cover me on Friday?"), in our case it would be >100K of addresses, and it served as an attractive target for a lucky automailing email worm.

Yeah - thanks Mike - I actually just found the list...aptly titled "[Comcast -- All]"

Turns out I was underestimating the number of addresses. There are 11,500+ email addresses in the exchange server.

NickDBrennan said:
Yeah - thanks Mike - I actually just found the list...aptly titled "[Comcast -- All]"

Turns out I was underestimating the number of addresses. There are 11,500+ email addresses in the exchange server.
If you've got that many users, I suspect it's a cluster of servers, not just one.

By default, there is no "all" in Exchange. It has to be set up.

How about in Office Outlook 2003 (For personal use)

Is there a simple way to send an e-mail to all of your contacts (in your contact list) without going through each one?

Brian Austin said:
If you've got that many users, I suspect it's a cluster of servers, not just one.

By default, there is no "all" in Exchange. It has to be set up.

well - without going into the nitty gritty details, you are correct. There are servers for each of the offices in the United States, as well as a few other servers for specialized departments.

HPNPilot1200 said:
How about in Office Outlook 2003 (For personal use)

Is there a simple way to send an e-mail to all of your contacts (in your contact list) without going through each one?

You can always set up a group and just send the email to the group (have the group include all addresses in your address list). You'd have to do it once, but not repeatedly.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
You can always set up a group and just send the email to the group (have the group include all addresses in your address list). You'd have to do it once, but not repeatedly.

Nick, would you so gladly enlighten me how to create a group? :D

To send to everyone in your address book:

Compose an e-mail:
Click the To: button
highlight the first person in the list.
CONTROL+SHIFT+last contact in the list.
It selects them all.
Move them to the appropriate list (To/CC/BCC)

Voila.

Or......

Open up your contacts folder.
Control+A selects them all.
Click the icon that can send mail on the toolbar.

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Nick, would you so gladly enlighten me how to create a group? :D

sure. click on the button at the top that says "addresses"

click on File>New Group

Click on Select Members, click the first member, hold shift, click last member

Click on the select button.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only way to get them all there (CTRL-A doesn't work), and from then on, you only have to address the mail to the name of the group.

NickDBrennan said:

Man, I can almost feel the web slowing down already.

Back