Mail Order (Paper) Charts & Sectionals

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I'm not ready to go buy more electronics stuff.

Anybody got a good handle on a mail order source for cheap and fast sectionals and charts.

I know I can always go here for charts and AFD pages:

http://www.avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications

I do like the books because they give me options if there are last minute changes.

Thanks in advance,

Getting charts directly from the FAA has always been fastest in my experience. They ship the same day, and next day delivery was only $13 or so. It was a really well run operation:

http://faacharts.faa.gov/

Sadly, it seems like they're stopping this in October :mad:

Last edited:
There is no cheaper or more reliable source for FAA AeroNav charts than directly from FAA AeroNav.

I've been ordering from mypilotstore.

There is no cheaper or more reliable source for FAA AeroNav charts than directly from FAA AeroNav.
Yes, exactly. I think many people just didn't know that you can just order charts directly from the FAA. But aren't they stopping this in October?

Last edited:

I had a very negative experience with wactac.com. After reading this thread, I switched to wactac.com to save a couple bucks. Their website is very user-friendly, but the service was not reliable. My first order went well, but the subsequent subscriptions were late. As my current sectionals were about to expire, I e-mailed them to make sure the new charts were on their way. I received the reply that they would check on it and didn't hear anything else.

One chart finally showed up 5 weeks after it was active and another sectional and TAC arrived 2 weeks late. I had already purchased the charts elsewhere so I could fly with current charts and ended up buying the charts twice because of this. :mad2:

I am going back to mypilotstore.com :thumbsup: The charts were always on time and the prices were still very reasonable. I feel bad for abandoning their stellar service to save a couple bucks. I guess I learned my lesson.

Thanks for the pirep, MN Flyer. I too have been using mypilotstore.com for about two years with excellent service, then saw this thread and wondered if I should swap to wactac. Guess I'll stick with mypilotstore!

Does anybody know the company that made the sectional charts into bound pages? (i.e. removes the folding and unfolding component of a map

I remember someone making spiral-bound sectionals a long time ago, but some Googling seems to indicate that they've all gone out of business.

Although everyone loves the Wactac (it is run a dude with a FBO, many members stopped at that airport), I gave it a pass, because I don't want to give Google my address. Let them datamine it if they want. I use skygeek.com. My experience with Mr. Styles was not spotless either, but he can be counted to send charts on time at least. Also, he offers a useful service "buy next chart", so I don't need to poll the website all the time.

I had a very negative experience with wactac.com. After reading this thread, I switched to wactac.com to save a couple bucks. Their website is very user-friendly, but the service was not reliable. My first order went well, but the subsequent subscriptions were late. As my current sectionals were about to expire, I e-mailed them to make sure the new charts were on their way. I received the reply that they would check on it and didn't hear anything else.

One chart finally showed up 5 weeks after it was active and another sectional and TAC arrived 2 weeks late. I had already purchased the charts elsewhere so I could fly with current charts and ended up buying the charts twice because of this. :mad2:

I am going back to mypilotstore.com :thumbsup: The charts were always on time and the prices were still very reasonable. I feel bad for abandoning their stellar service to save a couple bucks. I guess I learned my lesson.

I recently had almost exactly the same experience with WACTAC, guess I'll try mypilotstore.com.

I've been getting mine form ipilot.com for a few years now. Always on time and never a problem. I was just on there today canceling some stuff now that I have foreflight. The VFR sectionals are 7.25, IFR low is 4.25 (I think). Shipping is free on those, but costs for the AFD & plates.

John

Been getting mine from Sporty's for years. Always arrive before the transition date. WAC, Sectional, TAC and A/FD.

Interesting pireps. We sold off wactac to a new owner in October, and it sounds like balls are being dropped. I'm sorry to hear it.

I'll give him a kick next time I'm out that way :)

I get mine from Aircraft Spruce. Sectionals, AIM, ect.
Always on time for the past 4 years! When the the CC I have on file with them was about to expire they EM'ed me and asked for a new card/date. Never missed a beat.

Chris

Back