MAI to Washington, DC

College Park with the metro stop sounds good. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to jump the FRZ hoops if one flies to DC only once every other year. How long is a FRZ permit valid before you have to jump the hoops again?

It's good forever, but it would behoove you to call or check the websites of the airport you are going to operate in/out of. Some of the local procedures do change from time to time.

I took the Special Flight Rules class 405 this weekend so I'm up to date with that. I don't think I want to takle Dulles this trip, maybe next time. I think it's down to 2W5 or Manassas. Since I plan to come in on a Sunday afternoon and leave very early on a Saturday I might better do HEF. Thanks for the help, next I'll have to figure out a good half-way point to fuel up and take a break but that will be another post.

HEF would be definitely be better, 2W5 is out in the boonies and there are zip transportation options. HEF will bive you the option of a rental car or if you time it right the VRE train.

The services at HEF are by far better than at 2W5 as well.

HEF will be fine. There's no "perfect" option here, so it will work well enough. On Flight Following you'll be fine as long as you filed the appropriate flight plan in advance (you can do it with ForeFlight too, just click "DC SFRA" as your type of plan). Only thing to be aware of is never, ever, ever squawking 1200 by accident.

HEF would be definitely be better, 2W5 is out in the boonies and there are zip transportation options. HEF will bive you the option of a rental car or if you time it right the VRE train.

The services at HEF are by far better than at 2W5 as well.

No question.

Call the FBO ahead to assure a rental car or other transport... both FBOs at the field can arrange cars.

If you're coming in Sunday, VRE is not an option, at least not at the current time. But you CAN get an Amtrak train from Manassas station (in the city of Manassas, a few miles from the airport) to Alexandria or Washington where you can transfer to Metro. Cheaper than a rental car.

Aviation needs to be more socratic . . . the answer to the OP's question should have been:

What do you think you need to do in order to fly there safely and legally?

Don't take someone else's word for it on a website. . .

Since I plan to come in on a Sunday afternoon and leave very early on a Saturday I might better do HEF.

For those times, hands down HEF over 2W5. Check on overnight parking fees with both fbos. Cab to Vienna metro may be the most economical option, be sure to check for weekend construction on the wmata website. Check on rental car return with Hertz at DCA, may not even be a one-way.

We get a lot of corporate jets in Frederick with people visiting D.C. Rental cars are available, We're about an hour and 10 minutes from Crystal City. No special airspace but check NOTAMS for Camp David.

We get a lot of corporate jets in Frederick with people visiting D.C. Rental cars are available, We're about an hour and 10 minutes from Crystal City. No special airspace but check NOTAMS for Camp David.
FDK has a jet length runway, but if you're flying piston, no way would I go all around the mulberry bush. 1hr10 is very optimistic to get to CC.

FDK has a jet length runway, but if you're flying piston, no way would I go all around the mulberry bush. 1hr10 is very optimistic to get to CC.

Likewise. Plenty of good options on the south/west side of town.

Welcome to POA, Alton!

1:10 is possible on a Sunday afternoon, but certainly not during morning rush hour :)

FDK would be a good choice coming form the NW (as would GAI, and it's prox to the Shady Grove Metro station), but from the south it doesn't offer much over HEF that would justify the added distance (aside from a tour of AOPA HQ, of course). The SFRA is a no-brainer, as you've discovered taking the required on-line course.

Back