MagLev **FLYING** Saucer toy $14 (see what I did there?)

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
OK, FLYING toys are aviation-related, right?

I have a bunch of these toys and can get them to you by Christmas if I ship by 12/21 and USPS is true to its word. They make good stocking stuffers. Just don't put them next to anything that does not like magnets. Shipping is included in the price. I accept PayPal. (edit: 12/21 has come and gone so Christmas delivery is out.)

attachment.php

Here is a vid followed by the text from my eBay auction. And the vid was flimed at George T Baker Aviation School so there is another aviation connection :)

You are bidding on a Magic UFO Magnetic Levitation Floating Flying Saucer. These are knock-offs of the much pricier Levitron toy which will cost you about 5x as much as this one.

They use a combination of magnetic and gyroscopic properties to maintain the spinning top suspended in space without visible means of support. It is really a neat trick.

These are new, complete, and essentially exactly the same as the blue ones that other sellers have on eBay. Most of those other sellers ship from China and you will wait a long time to get it. I ship FREE and FAST from Florida so you will get it quickly. And I am cheaper than the other sellers to boot. Stop the madness!

OK, last Christmas I sold these on eBay as the ideal gift for that annoying kid that always throws the ball in your yard or maybe for that paperboy that always seems to manage to land the paper in the puddle. That was because I could not, for the life of me, get this to work. Well, it turns out it was just me. Just a lot of others, too, but not everyone. Not everyone. There are folks out there that can do this. Bless their hearts. Rocky here could do it easily from the first time he touched it. I took them into another of my classes today and a few came close with a bit of practice and one guy got as good as Rocky is although he worked the whole class period on it. And our class periods are 2-1/2 hours long. The teacher bought three of them and I donated a buck to the school club he runs for every one sold that day so he let us play with them. Didn't hurt that the class was on Basic Electricity and includes discussion of magnetism. It was a teaching moment. Yeah, that's what it was.

Word of warning, some folks (like me) will find it difficult, of not impossible, to successfully levitate the top. It can be frustrating. I take no responsibility for lost tempers, broken windows, ruined marriages, etc. You are on your own here. I also do not accept returns. It can be done. Good luck. And here is a word of advice. Any permanent magnet can lose all or part of its magnetism if it is dropped or banged on enough to bump its internal magnetic domains out of alignment. That means that while you are learning to do this, you do not want to be regularly letting the little saucer, which contains a magnet, fall from table to floor. Twenty or thirty or forty of those and you will see a decrease in the strength of the magnet in the saucer. That is unavoidable and is a property of permanent magnets in general; it has nothing specific to do with this toy. Therefore, practice on the floor or on a table large enough to prevent the saucer from falling to the floor.

Attachments

• UFO.jpg
    UFO.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back