Madison Approach 48nm East of C29?

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Laying out my FP in foreflight. I see where Milwaukee approach will not provide flight following within 70nm of OSH. Will Madison provide it if I'm 48nm East of C29? I see in the NOTAM (Madison) they have the route passing between Blackhawk and Watertown. I will happily route myself further west to obtain the flight following from them. I'm just looking for as much awareness as possible approaching RIPON. Thanks

Last edited:
@flyingcheesehead might know for sure but you really need eyeballs outside in that environment at all times.

Remember (unless this has changed in the NOTAM) transponders are OFF in the area, so your ADS-B gadgets won’t be of much help either.

You gotta keep eyes out and head on a swivel. It’s very traffic dense. The good news is USUALLY you’re all headed the same way, thus the speeds in the NOTAM also.

@flyingcheesehead might know for sure but you really need eyeballs outside in that environment at all times.

Remember (unless this has changed in the NOTAM) transponders are OFF in the area, so your ADS-B gadgets won’t be of much help either.

You gotta keep eyes out and head on a swivel. It’s very traffic dense. The good news is USUALLY you’re all headed the same way, thus the speeds in the NOTAM also.
Thanks. The NOTAM has changed. States "all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft set transponder to S/B".

Edit- Might be a saturation nightmare, but a CTAF freak inbound to RIPON might be helpful. But what do I know, this is my first trip

I was on FF with Chicago approach with a non-OSH destination last year opening weekend. Anyone heading to OSH was denied advisories. When I was landing near IL-WI border and was cancelling they said there were five possible targets on the 10 mile approach.

Rockford was accepting FF. Madison will likely vary based on traffic.

It’s never been an issue with me, just stay on hyper alert looking for aircraft. It’s not just in front, but above, below, and angling in. I like to cross RIPON near the inbound heading, no belly up turns.

At times I’m not in the mood to talk to anyone either. For entertainment, listen up on 122.75 when out a ways, but then the FISKE arrival freq in plenty of time to adjust your S.A..

Thanks. The NOTAM has changed. States "all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft set transponder to S/B".

Edit- Might be a saturation nightmare, but a CTAF freak inbound to RIPON might be helpful. But what do I know, this is my first trip

You would THINK that a gaggle of trained pilots, all headed in the same direction, with the same intentions, using the same playbook (NOTAM) would be able to use a freq successfully to avoid conflicts. However, based on the radio chatter I have heard in the past on a freq that is NOT supposed to be used by aircraft, I don't think we could pull it off well at all.

You would THINK that a gaggle of trained pilots, all headed in the same direction, with the same intentions, using the same playbook (NOTAM) would be able to use a freq successfully to avoid conflicts. However, based on the radio chatter I have heard in the past on a freq that is NOT supposed to be used by aircraft, I don't think we could pull it off well at all.
Indeed. When flying in Southern KY and Northern TN 123.0 and 122.8 are just hammered as its used by endless uncontrolled fields. Then add Joe the pilot talking to his buddy about fishing yesterday and its a full on goat rope. Makes my head hurt

Laying out my FP in foreflight. I see where Milwaukee approach will not provide flight following within 70nm of OSH. Will Madison provide it if I'm 48nm East of C29? I see in the NOTAM (Madison) they have the route passing between Blackhawk and Watertown. I will happily route myself further west to obtain the flight following from them. I'm just looking for as much awareness as possible approaching RIPON. Thanks

48 east of C29 puts you east of Oconomowoc, just about in line with Hartford - So the answer is no.

If you want to maximize your time on flight following, add RYV to your flight plan. Call up Madison Approach on 119.15 about 20nm south of RYV. They can keep you just about to the southern edge of the Volk East MOA *if* traffic at that particular time allows - They may have to cut you loose earlier than that. Not necessarily a bad thing, you may want to take the extra time to grab the arrival ATIS.

Madison is very good about handling OSH traffic, they actually open up a third position on 119.15 for the week of Oshkosh solely for the purpose of working Oshkosh traffic - The rest of the year it's combined with the normal Madison East position on 120.1.

That last 15nm to Ripon, you're on your own - Nobody's going to work you there. It'd be impossible for ATC to keep up with the number of traffic calls even if they assigned you your own personal controller and frequency.

I can give you a little better detail if you let me know where you're coming from before that - Chicago lakeshore, or elsewhere?

Absolutely.

This has changed in the NOTAM. ADS-B transponders are to remain on, plain old Mode C should be turned off within 30nm of KOSH.

Here's what it looked like two years ago, two days before the show started:

IMG_0429.PNG

Headed the same way? Not until you're past Ripon. Up until then there'll be planes everywhere, going every which way. While the main traffic flow will be north/south, remember that a lot of traffic goes to Fond du Lac, and so every once in a while you'll get someone going from, say, the Twin Cities or Denver or Seattle areas headed to KFLD and they'll be cutting across everyone else's path. And there are people converging on Ripon from every direction too, though again the majority will be from SSE clockwise through W.

48 east of C29 puts you east of Oconomowoc, just about in line with Hartford - So the answer is no.

If you want to maximize your time on flight following, add RYV to your flight plan. Call up Madison Approach on 119.15 about 20nm south of RYV. They can keep you just about to the southern edge of the Volk East MOA *if* traffic at that particular time allows - They may have to cut you loose earlier than that. Not necessarily a bad thing, you may want to take the extra time to grab the arrival ATIS.

Madison is very good about handling OSH traffic, they actually open up a third position on 119.15 for the week of Oshkosh solely for the purpose of working Oshkosh traffic - The rest of the year it's combined with the normal Madison East position on 120.1.

That last 15nm to Ripon, you're on your own - Nobody's going to work you there. It'd be impossible for ATC to keep up with the number of traffic calls even if they assigned you your own personal controller and frequency.

I can give you a little better detail if you let me know where you're coming from before that - Chicago lakeshore, or elsewhere?

Absolutely.

This has changed in the NOTAM. ADS-B transponders are to remain on, plain old Mode C should be turned off within 30nm of KOSH.

Here's what it looked like two years ago, two days before the show started:

View attachment 64814

Headed the same way? Not until you're past Ripon. Up until then there'll be planes everywhere, going every which way. While the main traffic flow will be north/south, remember that a lot of traffic goes to Fond du Lac, and so every once in a while you'll get someone going from, say, the Twin Cities or Denver or Seattle areas headed to KFLD and they'll be cutting across everyone else's path. And there are people converging on Ripon from every direction too, though again the majority will be from SSE clockwise through W.
Thanks. I will be coming out of KY at O-Dark 30. I'll be coming out of KDKB for final leg as I plan to top off the tanks there. Your comment about being on my own 15 miles from RIPON sums it up nicely.

Thanks. I will be coming out of KY at O-Dark 30. I'll be coming out of KDKB for final leg as I plan to top off the tanks there. Your comment about being on my own 15 miles from RIPON sums it up nicely.

No need to edit your route, then. KDKB direct RIPON passes about 3nm west of KRYV. I would try Rockford on 121.0 as soon as you're off KDKB and they should hand you off to Madison. If things don't work out with Rockford, just call Madison on 119.15 around the city of Whitewater (about 20nm south of KRYV or 60nm from RIPON).

Back