Mad - V1 - Dpk altitude assignement

George Foster

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bluesideup
Hi, I fly from NH to LI, NY often IFR. NY Approach always instructs me to descend to 4,000 feet approaching Madison VOR and thus, to cross the LI Sound at an altitude too low to glide to either side from the middle of the Sound in my Archer. The V1 crossing is 23.5 miles across the Long Island Sound. I have frequently said UNABLE, I NEED 6,000, and I can sense ATC's displeasure. I am sure it requires more sector coordination in busy airspace. I have filed to Bridgeport VOR for crossing to have my route changed back to V1. I want to talk to someone about this to see if there is a better way to handle my route and altitude request. Any thoughts? FSDO? An ATC facility? AOPA? Or just live with it and say UNABLE.

Remarks section of flight plan: "Minimum altitude 6,000 on V1 across Long Island Sound" and/or advise ATC verbally of the same in advance? Don't know if it will help but it's worth a try.

Also file a NASA report.

Maybe someone with more expertise will reply but that's my 2c.

Hi, I fly from NH to LI, NY often IFR. NY Approach always instructs me to descend to 4,000 feet approaching Madison VOR and thus, to cross the LI Sound at an altitude too low to glide to either side from the middle of the Sound in my Archer. The V1 crossing is 23.5 miles across the Long Island Sound. I have frequently said UNABLE, I NEED 6,000, and I can sense ATC's displeasure. I am sure it requires more sector coordination in busy airspace. I have filed to Bridgeport VOR for crossing to have my route changed back to V1. I want to talk to someone about this to see if there is a better way to handle my route and altitude request. Any thoughts? FSDO? An ATC facility? AOPA? Or just live with it and say UNABLE.

You could try all of those. I’d call New York TRACON and talk about it. Asking to move over to BDR and closer to New York traffic does look like something they could have some grief with. How about GDM V14 ORW then either V16 CCC or V308 HTO. That’s just me looking at a map and having a general feeling for traffic flows. What dmspilot said above about letting them know well out that you can’t cross on V1 below 6000 is sound advice(yeah, I said sound instead of good on purpose.):) There’s a handful of folk here with actual experience in that corner of the world. They should chime in soon.

Last edited:
Back