Mackinac Island

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I'm thinking about introducing a girl to the whole airplane thing. Mackinac Island seems like a good destination. We may go this weekend if the weather gods cooperate with me.

For those of you that have been there..What would you recommend to do/see/eat?

jangell said:
I'm thinking about introducing a girl to the whole airplane thing. Mackinac Island seems like a good destination. We may go this weekend if the weather gods cooperate with me.

Go see the porch at the Grand Hotel, wear comfy shoes, you will do alot of walking. There should not be alot of people there, since its after labor day. There is no fuel on the island so plan to get fuel elsewhere.

Regards Mike

jangell said:

If you get the timing right and have the time sign up for the "bus" tour in the horse drawn carriages. They'll give you the layout and the history.

Otherwise, rent some bikes and tour on your own. Michigan state route 8 (1?) around the island perimeter is 8 miles of bike trail. You'll also learn how much uphill the Grand Hotel is.

The restaurants are all good. Go to one where you can sit outside.

I love the place and have been going there annually since 2004. Pellston makes a good fuel stop. There are landing fees at MCD. You'll get a carriage taxi from the airport for about $7/person. You'll definitely be inundated with fudge places, and it is good.

As Mike said, the tours are nice, and it should be a wonderful bike ride after that, since you'll know where you're going. Get at least 3 speeds. Next to the Lakewiew hotel on the west end of the main street is a place that has 6 speeds, or a couple of places also have mountain bikes or tandem bikes.

You can do horseback riding for about $30/hour at a couple of places. You can get a guide at no additional charge if you want.

If you do dinner or even an evening stroll at the Grand Hotel, be aware that there is a derss code which includes at least a jacket, maybe a tie. Also note that there is an admission fee to the Grand Hotel if you're not staying there. Leslie says that even walking on their porch/street requires payment of that fee.

My only knowledge of Mackinac....the c is pronounced like a w.

Mackinaw. Whoda thunk?

You thought Gaston's was expensive...

Great place to spend the day... expensive place to spend the night. I've not had bad food anywhere on the island. Touring the island by bike is the best. You can do it at your own pace and you can take the time out to enjoy the peace of the island. The best place I can think of to eat is to take your own picnic and stop at the cemetery or nature center. Much nicer then the tourist traps in the town, not that they are bad... it's just very serine place to picnic.

Missa

Jesse what happened to the News Reporter?!?!?!

Any info please advise :)

CapeCodJay said:
Jesse what happened to the News Reporter?!?!?!

Any info please advise :)

Wouldn't you like to know :D

jangell said:

Rent bicycles. Splurge on the horse taxi to the city, even though it's a very nice walk downtown (1.8 miles, in shade). $12.50 for two.

Rent bicycles. Do the around the island loop, 8 miles, takes 1-2 hours, the rentals are much less pricey after Labor day. ($7.00 per hour during PRIME time, much less after labor day).

Fort Mackinac is a State park, do the fortress tour and eat lunch on the fortress wall. It's quite the iron age scene!

And buy her some Fudge. Fudge, fudge, fudge. Chocolate, the key to a woman's heart.

bbchien said:
And buy her some Fudge. Fudge, fudge, fudge. Chocolate, the key to a woman's heart.

Yeahbut, Bruce, you didn't say where to find the Fudge shop. :p

mikea said:
Yeahbut, Bruce, you didn't say where to find the Fudge shop. :p

No need. They will find you.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's no fuel at MCD so plan to arrive with enough to leave. Coming from the west, you might be better off using Escanaba or Schoolcraft as a fuel stop rather than PLN. Beaver Island would be another option if you don't mind a little overwater flying (you can stay within about 10 NM from land flying over ESC and Beaver Is).

If you really want to impress, book a room in the Hotel, I suspect you might actually be able to get a reservation this time of year (they're booked up months in advance during the summer). Note the dress code at the hotel, it's enforced rather strictly and at odds with the casual atmosphere of the rest of the island eateries. Last time I checked, prices at the hotel were impressively high though. There's plenty of other good places to eat, especially for lunch. And as you've heard there's lots of fudge shops. Everything costs what you'd expect at a Colorado Ski resort so bring plenty of cash or a rich girlfriend. Personally, I'd walk to town from the airport and take the taxi back unless you want to ride both ways. It's pretty much downhill from the airport and a noticeable climb going back. Plus, if it's getting dim, you won't be able to see well enough to avoid stepping in the horse crap. The bike trip around the island can be done on a single speed bike, but there are hills that will make you wish you had a ten speed. For a date, I'd consider a tandem bike as they are more romantic. Alternatively, if you have room in the plane you can bring your own bikes, but then you'll miss out on the horse drawn taxi ride(s).

Also pay attention to the noise abatement rules (climb straight out to pattern altitude (1900 MSL IIRC) and DON'T overfly the town or hotel unless you are at least 3000 AGL. Don't submit to the temptation to fly under the bridge either!

lancefisher said:
For a date, I'd consider a tandem bike as they are more romantic.

Romantic? Right. She can enjoy the romance, he can enjoy the view. :D

Jesse, if you're taking someone from MN you might want to consider a shorter trip the first time, especially if she's never been in a small plane before. If you're picking someone up in the UP, though, never mind. ;)

Also, you don't have to spend money to impress a woman. You could also go to Manistique (ISQ I think, Schoolcraft County Airport), take picnic supplies, walk down to the beach, and do not miss the absolutely spectacular star-gazing opportunities. (Make sure it'll be clear and moonless.) There's camping on the field or hotels right nearby, I think at least one of 'em has a restaurant.

Not that I've ever thought about doing this myself. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

lancefisher said:
Everything costs what you'd expect at a Colorado Ski resort so bring plenty of cash or a rich girlfriend.
As much as I'd like to find a rich girl with lots of airplanes. It just hasn't happend. I'm just starting to accept that such a thing probably doesn't exist. But if anyone knows where to find one please point me that direction. :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Jesse, if you're taking someone from MN you might want to consider a shorter trip the first time, especially if she's never been in a small plane before.
Already did a previous flight in an effort to "build up" to actually going somewhere.

The weather gods appear to hate me. It's not exactly looking like a perfect weekend. I'm probably going to just spend this weekend working doing an Exchange '03 migration.

Maybe the next weekend, We'll see. She seems to have lost interest in doing anything all the sudden :dunno:

Last edited:
jangell said:
Maybe the next weekend, We'll see. She seems to have lost interest in doing anything all the sudden :dunno:

Another not so distant interesting destination is Madeline Island near Bayview WI. There you'll have to bring your own bikes or walk the two miles into town. Prices are a lot lower than Mackinac though.

jangell said:
Chocolate, Jesse. Remember, Chocolate.

If you're landing RWY 28, speed control my friend, speed control!!! The RWY has a hump about 500 to 1000 feet from the treshold and then is down hill from there, you'll be chasing the RWY all the way to the drop off at the end of the RWY. Landing fees are $10.50 for singles and $10.50 a night tiedowns with no fuel available. If you rent bikes make sure to get as many gears as possible, particularly if you don't ride bike often. Plenty of good places to stay and eat. Have fun!!!

Back