MacBook Air Not Connecting to the Internet

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
I reformatted my MacBook Air (2013) yesterday thinking that would solve the issues I have been having with ridiculously slow internet (to the point that pages just won't load in any browser). Now the internet doesn't work at all. The network settings show that it's connected to the Wi-Fi but there it says that that the ISP and internet failed the test. I've run through the diagnostics with no luck.

I've found some tips and tricks via Google (such as removing some of the plist files and rebooting the computer, refreshing the SMC, changing the DNS server settings, etc.) all to no avail. The internet works as all the other devices in the house (iPhones, iPads and other MacBook Airs).

I'm running OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Any ideas?

By reformatted is that indicating wiping the drive and starting over? If so are there any other hardware tests you can run?

I reformatted my MacBook Air (2013) yesterday thinking that would solve the issues I have been having with ridiculously slow internet (to the point that pages just won't load in any browser). Now the internet doesn't work at all. The network settings show that it's connected to the Wi-Fi but there it says that that the ISP and internet failed the test. I've run through the diagnostics with no luck.

I've found some tips and tricks via Google (such as removing some of the plist files and rebooting the computer, refreshing the SMC, changing the DNS server settings, etc.) all to no avail. The internet works as all the other devices in the house (iPhones, iPads and other MacBook Airs).

I'm running OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Any ideas?

Hold down the option key and click on the airport icon in the menu bar, and what do you see?

By reformatted is that indicating wiping the drive and starting over? If so are there any other hardware tests you can run?
Yes, that's what I mean. I used the Disk Utility in the boot up software to erase and re-install OS X. I ran the hardware tests and it came back fine.

Hold down the option key and click on the airport icon in the menu bar, and what do you see?
Are you referring to all of the network information such as the IP Address, router information, BSSID, etc?

This is very strange. Yesterday, no matter how many reboots I did after the re-install, now matter how many tricks I used or settings I changed, the internet just would not work. At all. I come home from work to check the Airport icon as requested, and now it's suddenly working better than ever. Of course it is, I mentioned I had a problem and described what it was. Now it works. :redface: It'll stop working as soon as I go away from this thread. :D

I read this thread and had to google "airport icon". Oh, it's what I think of as the wifi icon. :redface:

Are you referring to all of the network information such as the IP Address, router information, BSSID, etc?

Yep.

This is very strange. Yesterday, no matter how many reboots I did after the re-install, now matter how many tricks I used or settings I changed, the internet just would not work. At all. I come home from work to check the Airport icon as requested, and now it's suddenly working better than ever. Of course it is, I mentioned I had a problem and described what it was. Now it works. :redface: It'll stop working as soon as I go away from this thread. :D

Checking the airport status is a little known trick to reset the airport thereby enabling internet access.

(obviously I'm kidding - I'm glad it's working again)

Well it's down again. ISP, Internet and Server all show failed on the diagnostics tool again as well. What info are you looking for from the Airport icon?

I don't know much about Macs, especially newer ones. But the few times I've had the opportunity to t/s Mac wireless problems, the problem was always in the "keychain." Deleting the entry for the connection in question and re-entering the information manually always seemed to fix it.

Rich

Last edited:
I don't know much about Macs, especially newer ones. But the few times I've had the opportunity to t/s Mac wireless problems, the problem was always in the "keychain." Deleting the entry for the connection in question and re-entering the information manually always seemed to fix it.

Rich
I'm not sure which entry you're talking about but I tried deleting the one for my network. We'll see if that works.

Today the internet seems to work, give it 5 minutes and I'm sure it'll stop again. :mad2:

I'm not sure which entry you're talking about but I tried deleting the one for my network. We'll see if that works.

Today the internet seems to work, give it 5 minutes and I'm sure it'll stop again. :mad2:

Might end up time to make an appointment with a "Genius" at the Apple Store.

Might end up time to make an appointment with a "Genius" at the Apple Store.
I'm trying to avoid that. If I go in there, it's likely I'll walk out with a new computer. :D

Back