Mac Hard Drive Question

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
When a Mac, upon attempting to boot, displays a circle with a line through it, does that mean that it doesn't recognize that the physical drive exists, or that it doesn't recognize a valid filesystem on the drive?

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks.

This is a client case, actually. The client called me about recovering her pictures when the machine wouldn't boot up. She's now been told by Apple that she needs a new hard drive, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the physical drive. I may still take a ride out there tomorrow, however, and slave the drive to my Linux laptop. (I have hfsplus support compiled into the kernel just for cases like these.)

My friend and data-recovery guy Stefan passed away in February, and he left me his data-recovery machine and associated doodads. I'm becoming halfway proficient at software-based recovery, including successes on the few Mac drives I've worked on. But I also have an arrangement with a company that does physical recovery if I can't do it with software and the usual tricks.

I was basically trying to get some idea of what the icon meant so I could advise her accurately, but based on Apple's diagnostic, I'm assuming it's likely a physical problem that will have to be sent out, which I'm not sure she's willing to go for.

Thanks again,

-Rich

It's really hard to tell without seeing so for yourself. The KB doc just indicates problems loading the OS for whatever reason. If you can boot from an OS X install DVD, you'd have a chance seeing if the drive is hardware recognized (Go to the Apple menu, select "About this Mac", then click on the More Info button to look at all the HW the machine can see). You also get a chance at running Apple's Disk Utility.

One other idea: if you have a 2nd Mac, you can connect a Firewire cable between the two. While booting up the failed machine, hold down its "T" button on the keyboard for Firewire target disk mode. The other Mac should then see it as just another external hard drive. You might be able to pick off the pictures that way.

It's really hard to tell without seeing so for yourself. The KB doc just indicates problems loading the OS for whatever reason. If you can boot from an OS X install DVD, you'd have a chance seeing if the drive is hardware recognized (Go to the Apple menu, select "About this Mac", then click on the More Info button to look at all the HW the machine can see). You also get a chance at running Apple's Disk Utility.

One other idea: if you have a 2nd Mac, you can connect a Firewire cable between the two. While booting up the failed machine, hold down its "T" button on the keyboard for Firewire target disk mode. The other Mac should then see it as just another external hard drive. You might be able to pick off the pictures that way.

Thanks again.

The prospective client hasn't called me back nor answered her phone. I'll try again later, and will use your advice if the job actually happens.

-Rich

Back