Mac doesn't automatically log on

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
My daughter is here with her friend Morgan. Morgan's Mac does not automatically log on to my non-encrypted, no password, WI-FI home network. Just a wide open WI-FI system.

I am a PC kind of guy, but is there anything I can look at on her MAC?

I don't work on Macs very often, and when I do it's generally very simple stuff (like this). But I don't do it often enough to quote the process by heart. So maybe you should wait for a Mac guy to respond.

Thet being said, first make sure the Airport card is turned on. There should be a little antenna icon on the top for the AirPort connection. (There may also be a physical switch somewhere on the laptop, although frankly I don't remember ever seeing one on a Mac).

Once you make sure the Airport card is turned on, somewhere in there you should find a function to scan for networks; and once it sees the network, there should be a function to connect to it.

I don't remember ever having to connect a Mac to a non-secured network. Like I said, I rarely work on them. But maybe you have to manually authorize a Mac to connect to a non-secure network, like you do with Window Wireless Zero.

Again, I'm no Mac expert; so take the above for what it's worth. But it's something you can try in the meantime until someone who knows what s/he is talking about responds.

-Rich

Assuming this is OSX 10.5:

Two icons to the left of the clock should be an icon that looks like an amphitheatre. Click on that icon, choose "turn Airport On."

Wait for a bit, then click it again, and see if your SSID appears in the list. If it does, click that.

Voila

Thet being said, first make sure the Airport card is turned on. There should be a little antenna icon on the top for the AirPort connection. (There may also be a physical switch somewhere on the laptop, although frankly I don't remember ever seeing one on a Mac).

Nope, no physical switches for that on any Mac. :no:

Once you make sure the Airport card is turned on, somewhere in there you should find a function to scan for networks; and once it sees the network, there should be a function to connect to it.

There's an icon near the right end of the menu bar that's a 90-degree arc pointing upwards for the AirPort:

airporticon.gif

Here's a shot of what it looks like when AirPort is turned off:

126168_Full.jpg

Here's what it looks like when turned on and connected to the "UQConnect" network, at 3/4 signal, including what the menu looks like:

osx-quickconnect.png

Click that icon, turn on if necessary. If you just wait a few seconds, the networks will appear - No need to bring the menu up twice like Nick suggests, it'll show up if you just wait too. That said, I do like Nick suggests because I'm impatient and I can do something else during that three seconds. ;)

Another thing: If you put a Mac laptop to sleep, and wake it up and it's not already connected to a WiFi network, it should pop up a dialog momentarily saying "None of your preferred AirPort networks could be found, would you like to use one of these?" with a list of available WiFi networks to choose from.

Back