Mac Browser

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
Can any of you Mac fans tell me how to set the Mac's browser option to reload web pages every visit? I can't find the option anywhere.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Safari doesn't yet allow the user to manually adjust the size of the cache nor select an option to refresh the page on each visit. For most Internet browsing, refreshing page content hasn't been an issue for me: it seems that even on pages that change constantly I get the new content when I navigate to them.

I only start having real trouble when checking the webpages I create (when making one change after another and viewing code-to-page) on the local machine. When I'm not seeing my changes (like, after ten or so reloads) here is what I do:

Select Empty Cache from the Safari menu (I started typing something else before and went and edited this, see reason for editing...sorry), click OK, and then click the Refresh button on the toolbar (a partial circle with an arrow.) In most cases, this clears the problem right up and shows the refreshed content.

In others, you may need to do the above, plus Quit Safari and then restart it. In any case you should clear your cache and unwanted cookies daily. I like being able to manually pick and choose the cookies I keep and toss. :) (yes, pun intended).

I'm running OS 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3.1, so I am not sure if the above applies to Tiger and Tiger apps.

The Apple website has a great peer-to-peer message board for support issues---someone there might have a better trick.

good luck!

terry

Last edited:
gibbons said:
Can any of you Mac fans tell me how to set the Mac's browser option to reload web pages every visit? I can't find the option anywhere.

Thanks.

Sure. Use Firefox. :rolleyes:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.0.7&os=osx&lang=en-US
You can set your start page to be a set of tabs, so it will open a bunch of sites on launch. Unfortunately it launches all of those tabs every time you open a new window, too. I have to look for a way to tell it to not do that.

I still have Safari set as my default browser but I use Firefox. I'm working on getting the Sync Bookmarks extension working so the bookmarks are the same on all three (four) of my usual computers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensio...ion=firefox&category=Bookmarks&numpg=10&id=14

BTW, I tried Camino and had trouble with how it handles editing writng text on web pages. I lost my work on things like new posts here. It IS Beta. I gave up on it for a while.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I did find the empty cache and reset options, and a simple refresh page cured this particular problem. I don't use that computer and thought I'd set the browser up to load new content so my wife wouldn't have to deal with it. She hits a site out in Colorado which serves up a weekly newspaper and on the Mac it was last week's edition. On the PC it was this week's edition. No big deal, but I'm surprised Safari doesn't have this option.

Back