Mac Air problem

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
It appears the Thunderbolt port to use an external display has died but it works for network access (two different adapters in the same port). I use it for either the second display or network access, depending on where I am. Is it worth taking it to the shop for a fix (is it even possible?) or just forget it and live with the tiny screen?

Yes, I've tried the display adapter on 2 other macs, it works fine.

Last edited:
I’m sure it is possible to just replace the thunderbolt port, but it is a labor intensive and a specialized procedure, more so than just repairing or installing a new port. It’s a ‘replace the entire logic board’ type of process.

If your Mac is still under warranty or has Apple Care than you could bring it into a store and see what they say, but in my opinion, it’s a lot more trouble than it’s worth.

Take it in to an Apple store and see what they say. Sometimes they'll fix things out of good will (in case you're out of warranty or don't have Apple Care.) If you really want to use a larger monitor and the port is really dead, you can try to get an Apple TV and use that to send the video output of your computer to the larger screen. (Apple TV will connect to your monitor via HDMI)

Back