M20C Cockpit Video

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Took some video of my M20C Panel from take off and landing view points. This might look familliar to you Lenny. of course my panel is OLLLDD.
was 107 today at 2pm when I shot this...I dont recomend flying in this weather. Unless you have turbos and airconditioning. man was it hot.

http://www.bodylineautobody.com/MooneyPanel.wmv

Michael

Very sweet. Even 'got the Mooney bobble down to the smallest of bobs! :)

Nice vid, Michael. I have been thinking I need to get a cockpit-cam but then there is the worry about being second-guessed on our technique or skill!
(Its getting to the point where everything we say and do is recorded and judged?)
Maybe I will chose to not have witnesses!
107F! You are a brave man. I noticed how quick you were to whip the windows open after landing. I have my wife hairtriggered to pop the door on summer touchdowns; I better watch it or she will have it open on a go-round one day!

Do you know if they fixed the airplanes (172vs414 collision after the storm) which occurred when I was there in Feb?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Do you know if they fixed the airplanes (172vs414 collision after the storm) which occurred when I was there in Feb?

I flew down to eagle today and talked to the owner of the accident 172. He said they did total it, and he got the check. He also sold his 180 and now only has 1 plane another 172 that he doesn't rent out. He is very happy with the new insurance bills.
As far as shooting your own video...I know what you mean about the critics. As you can see in my video, I'm sure I don't do it the way a lot of other people do it, and it ain't always pretty, But I manage to get her down in one piece time after time. 20 more years doing that, and I could be that old guy at the airport critiquing everyone else landings. I say go for it. Id like to see what and how you fly... :)

Michael

Michael, do you normally horse the throttle that much? Diana, anything you want to say?

And did you land or were you shot down?

HAR HAR

LMAO.
See Dave, you were right not to post yours...
hehe.

Does anybody have any good pictures/descriptions of hardware and software necessary to take good in-cockpit flight?

I would love to make some videos but have NO clue how to make them.

It would need to be pretty much automatic as I am usually single pilot.

Thanks!

Richard said:
Michael, do you normally horse the throttle that much? Diana, anything you want to say?
Well, it looks a lot smoother than the one in the video we just took of my landing at the farm in the Citabria. Now THAT was a rough looking landing. The slip looked interesting too. Ain't no way I'm posting that video here. ;)

Interesting video, thanks for posting it.

I'm not familiar with Mooneys. What is the short handle under the instrument panel? It looks like you gave it a few pumps just before takeoff.

What GPS is that?

Michael said:
Took some video of my M20C Panel from take off and landing view points. This might look familliar to you Lenny. of course my panel is OLLLDD.
was 107 today at 2pm when I shot this...I dont recomend flying in this weather. Unless you have turbos and airconditioning. man was it hot.

http://www.bodylineautobody.com/MooneyPanel.wmv

Michael

Nav8tor said:
Interesting video, thanks for posting it.

I'm not familiar with Mooneys. What is the short handle under the instrument panel? It looks like you gave it a few pumps just before takeoff.
Older Mooneys have a hydraulic flap extension system....works really sweetly...

Diana said:
Well, it looks a lot smoother than the one in the video we just took of my landing at the farm in the Citabria. Now THAT was a rough looking landing. The slip looked interesting too. Ain't no way I'm posting that video here. ;)

My wife and I have decided that it's next to impossible to avoid that "crash landing" effect with handheld video. It's got to be braced on something. She puts it on top of the instrument panel now, and gets some pretty decent shots. I like to look at my recorded landings later. Some are decent, some are survived. I can always generate better self-critique from the videos than I can from memory.

I've always wanted to take a video camera in the cockpit but never got around to it. Well, once, but my friend apparently didn't understand how to turn it on, so we got about 1.5 seconds of panel and that was that. Someone once mentioned setting it up on a tripod in the back seat - you can adjust the tripod legs around the seat so that it's firmly planted in the plane.

Oh, and as for crash landings, just land like I do: perfect every time! :)

Michael said:
the panel mount or handheld? Ill assume the handheld on the yoke, Thats the avmap EKP IV.

Yes that's the one. How do you like it, great looking screen. I'm using Anywhere map, great software but the display could be larger.

Rich

PaSkyhawk said:
Yes that's the one. How do you like it, great looking screen. I'm using Anywhere map, great software but the display could be larger.

Rich

I wish i never sold my Lowrance 1000. However, Avmap has released a new terrain awareness feature, which i am currently waiting delivery on. This might change my views on the avmap. It does have a nice viewable screen, and it is fast. the drawbacks are....1) you cannot use it for street mapping 2) limited battery life (1.5 hours) so you need to keep it plugged in. However, it will recharge lithium batteries. 3) the navigation takes some getting used to, unlike the Lowarnce, it will take some time to setup a flight plan. not easily done in air. 4) it has crashed on me once. Avmap says they know about this problem, and the only fix causes all stored information to be lost. Not fun in the air. 5) if you check out their website, seems alot of people are unhappy with avmaps customer service. I dont have issues..yet.

I'm still debating buying the IV. I really like the screen. Something you will find out is that with the terrain depiction mode enabled, you can only view "North UP". You can switch it off and go to track up if you like.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is how the re draw rate is effected by the terrain depiction.

T Bone said:
I'm still debating buying the IV. I really like the screen. Something you will find out is that with the terrain depiction mode enabled, you can only view "North UP". You can switch it off and go to track up if you like.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is how the re draw rate is effected by the terrain depiction.

Viewing north up, is a better for situational awareness. a quick glance will tell you extactly where you are in relation to the airport you are about to make a traffic call to.
As soon as I recieve my Terrain feature, I will test it out, maybe post a video for you to look at. and write up some sort of review.

Michael

bbchien said:
Older Mooneys have a hydraulic flap extension system....works really sweetly...

I assumed that the longer handle was the flap lever. Is that for the gear?

Nav8tor said:
I assumed that the longer handle was the flap lever. Is that for the gear?

Yes, The long Bar that goes to the floor between the front seats is for the gear.

Michael said:

Micheal,

Very familliar. Especially after the last few days...flew the rest of my initial break in hours on Friday. Repositioned plane from N99 to KPTW this morning...with a short detour just to make sure the oil was sufficently heated. :<) :<) :<)

As Bruce said you've got the gear retraction down...I see you are also double checking that the gear is locked in good and tight when it is extended.

Nice video.

Len

Michael said:
I wish i never sold my Lowrance 1000. However, Avmap has released a new terrain awareness feature, which i am currently waiting delivery on. This might change my views on the avmap. It does have a nice viewable screen, and it is fast. the drawbacks are....1) you cannot use it for street mapping 2) limited battery life (1.5 hours) so you need to keep it plugged in. However, it will recharge lithium batteries. 3) the navigation takes some getting used to, unlike the Lowarnce, it will take some time to setup a flight plan. not easily done in air. 4) it has crashed on me once. Avmap says they know about this problem, and the only fix causes all stored information to be lost. Not fun in the air. 5) if you check out their website, seems alot of people are unhappy with avmaps customer service. I dont have issues..yet.
The Anywhere software is a mature product and very stable now, I guess I'll check out their Raven large display unit.

Thanks for the info,
Rich

Back