M01 (General DeWitt Spain) IFR routing

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Looking for some insider info on best way to get into/out of M01 when coming from the southeast IFR. Was thinking TWIKL -> M01 if MEM is landing to the south or OROCU -> M01 if they're landing to the north. We'll be landing, picking someone up, and heading back out so arrival and departure info is appreciated.

Thoughts or experiences in that area?

Memphis controllers are great. I suspect you will have zero problems with your plan. If the weather goes down, you can divert to KAWM for somewhat lower minima.

Can’t offer any direct advice for this situation, but I recently flew into Olive Branch and the Memphis controllers cleared me through the Bravo both times going in and out VFR without even asking. It seemed like a fairly loose Bravo airspace. I’m sure it’ll work out just fine.

Looking for some insider info on best way to get into/out of M01 when coming from the southeast IFR. Was thinking TWIKL -> M01 if MEM is landing to the south or OROCU -> M01 if they're landing to the north. We'll be landing, picking someone up, and heading back out so arrival and departure info is appreciated.

Forwarded to one of my friends that’s a controller there. I’ll let you know what he says.

Personally I'd file what works best for you and work with approach. They're very amenable (approachable?? :p) to letting folks in regardless of IFR/VFR. They're also accustomed to a variety of type of traffic into M01. (Briefly trained there when I lived in the area.)

Kinda like Ryan mentioned above, two days ago I was brought in VFR diagonally across their approach corridor from the northwest to land at OLV (Olive Branch) on the east side.

Personally I'd file what works best for you and work with approach. They're very amenable (approachable?? :p) to letting folks in regardless of IFR/VFR. They're also accustomed to a variety of type of traffic into M01. (Briefly trained there when I lived in the area.)

Kinda like Ryan mentioned above, two days ago I was brought in VFR diagonally across their approach corridor from the northwest to land at OLV (Olive Branch) on the east side.
I’ve been into MEM a good bit VFR. It’s pretty dead as long as FedEx isn’t doing a push. If they are… get ready for vectors.

You might want to consider V159, basically right over MEM. I have been routed over the "big airport" several times. Depending on other traffic, FedEx uses 9/27 quite a bit because their sort facility is adjacent to that runway. I much prefer to be over the airport instead of under the approach or departure gates.

Thanks for the intel. I was curious if there was a usual suspect for waypoint in the area that they use. Sounds like it's a toss-up and not a big deal in that area. Unlike ATL, where you typically only get cleared into the Bravo to cut a corner at 1am.

He said he would agree with that. Use AWM as an easy alt, and MEM/OLV if you need more services/better approaches.

I have flown into M01 from the south IFR a couple times and each time it has been a non issue. Approach usually vectors you on the west side of town and then direct. Memphis controllers are some of the best and very easy going.

Just to follow up on this - as suggested here, it was a non-event. We got vectors coming in from the southeast around to the north side (not very far off-route at all, actually). On the way out, departing 17, we were given a left turn out 360 and then once at 2000 a right turn to 090. Followed that until clear of the northern approach path before being turned back southeast and on route.

Controllers were great and, as expected, it was a non-event.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Thanks for the intel from the group.

Back