LZU provided good training day, and chance to meet POA'er

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
Pretty good training day today. CFI and I left LZU around noon. We flew a bit southeast and did some slow flight and stalls for a bit. While we were finishing up the slow flight work, I noticed the Low Voltage light was illuminated. Well, I like to spend some time reading about how to deal with abnormal conditions, so this was a good opportunity to test my knowlege...this was obviously not a big deal 'cause it was VMC, and the gear was already down on the Cutlass due to the type of maneuvering we were doing. I shut off the avionics switch, then recycled the master switch. Alternator came back on line, and life was good.
We decided to do some pattern work at Madison County...good uphill/downhill gradient along the runway, and VERY LONG displaced threshold. As we were making progress toward Madison, CFI wanted to do some unusual attitude work...as he was playing around, he pulled the gear breaker. As I approached downwind, I dropped the gear to reduce the speed a bit, and obviously it didn't extend...on to the Emer Checklist to manually pump the gear down. No more problems...

On the way back into LZU, we pick up the ATIS...winds, weather, etc...Expect an ILS or visual Runway 25 standby for further remarks... Runway 25 closed to landing aircraft. So tower confirms a disabled aircraft, and provides us with "unknown reopen time." So we "divert" to WDR to grab some lunch at the Spitfire. Looks like quite a few other folks had the same idea. While we were in grabbing a sandwhich, I had the opportunity to meet another POA'er...Rich Padula was there as well. It was a pleasure to meet you Rich! :yes:

So, all in all, great day for commercial training...a couple abnormal systems, a diversion, and the chance to meet someone I have only known through text to this point. Very enjoyable day! :yes:

Well, perhaps not so enjoyable for the pilots in the aircraft that had a gear collapse at LZU :no:

Brian

Brian,

Good to meet you, too. I particulary enjoyed the "Did you say 'Rich Padula'?" double-take when I introduced myself. As if I was famous or something:rofl: Well, I'm no Henning....

I got to practice diversions twice today. Besides the detour to WDR, about an hour away from LZU I was thinking "hmmm, might hafta go potty soon. Maybe I can make it home." Five minutes later, soon became RIGHT NOW DAMMIT! Where did that come from?!?! Me: "Uhhh...Atlanta Apch, I have to divert to Dublin." Them: "Need any assistance?" Me: "Nope, just gotta land." Like I'm gonna announce that on the radio! (on the internet is OK though) Guess they knew what was up.

Well, guess I'll have to rethink the "going in the plane" scenario. Buddy of mine from Alabama has always suggested a Prestone jug :D

-Rich

Back