Lycoming IO-360 (C1C) Overhaul cost

farmerbrake

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
farmerbrake
Tried searching for this but surprisingly couldn't find anything (recent that is).

My partnership is looking at adjusting the hourly (TACH) rate for our engine reserve. What I'm trying to do is figure out an overhaul cost for our engine. It's the 200 hp Lycoming IO-360-c1c engine in our Arrow. Currently we have like 16 or 1700 hours SMOH or so on the engine.

How much would you guys budget for an OH (assuming at 2,000 hrs the engine quits)? What shops do you recommend?

A google search brought up these two:
Penn Yan - somewhere between $25,011 and $28,918 depending on the type of Cylinders you use. or $28,436 for a lycoming factory overhaul, $32,436 for a factory rebuild, or $52,119 for a factory new
( https://www.pennyanaero.com/Piper-PA-28R-200-Arrow-Lycoming-IO-360-C1C-61.php )

Corona Engines - $19,295 w/ overhauled cylinders or $24,395 for new factory cylinders
( http://www.coronaengines.com/Engine-Overhaul )

Do those prices seem pretty fair?
Any other sources/comments/experience are greatly appreciated!

What accessories do those prices include? Starter? Alternator? Also, you have the labor to remove the engine, inspect/repair/repaint stuff (the engine mount, for instance) while the engine is out, replace hoses (if not included in the rebuild), replace cables, replace the exhaust, replace SCAT, clean/replace oil cooler, etc.

I'd pencil in $35k.

What accessories do those prices include? Starter? Alternator? Also, you have the labor to remove the engine, inspect/repair/repaint stuff (the engine mount, for instance) while the engine is out, replace hoses (if not included in the rebuild), replace cables, replace the exhaust, replace SCAT, clean/replace oil cooler, etc.

I'd pencil in $35k.

So the Pen Yan says it includes (skipping lots of things, but answering your question) oil hoses, new skytech starter (although we might need a new one within the next few weeks/months... I should create another thread to ask that question), new slick mags, new fuel pump.
I'm not sure what all the Lycoming factory OH/new engines inlcude.
The other one says it includes overhauled starter and mags.

Hoses were done fairly recent (like 2 years ago), not saying they wouldn't need done in 4+years, but they're newer.
Just got a brand new exhaust last April during annual.

What do you mean by SCAT?

What do you mean by SCAT?

SCAT (or SCEET, or CAT, or several other variations) is the orange or black flexible hose that is used to feed air through your heater and to/through other under-cowl systems. It isn't expensive, so while you're in there...

Check with Zephyr in Florida.
Thanks! I saw their website, but didn't see an estimated cost section. I'll give them a call to see what they say.

SCAT (or SCEET, or CAT, or several other variations) is the orange or black flexible hose that is used to feed air through your heater and to/through other under-cowl systems. It isn't expensive, so while you're in there...
Those were done the same time some other hoses were done I believe.... But all good things to add to an estimated cost. Thanks!

Any pricing you see on the website is a rough guess....Until you see the final bill, it's just an estimate and not cast in concrete. But good for budgeting.

Any pricing you see on the website is a rough guess....Until you see the final bill, it's just an estimate and not cast in concrete. But good for budgeting.
Yeah and that's what we're looking for is just budgeting purposes right now.

I'm curious, do they mention whether the use service limits or new limits? I assume if not mentioned it's to service limits?

zepher for the win. not related but back in the late 60s i owned a English ford Zephyr .a gentile breeze

I'm curious, do they mention whether the use service limits or new limits? I assume if not mentioned it's to service limits?
The second one didn't mention much but the pen Yan listed a good amount of info. What they do say is "Overhauled to Lycoming’s New Engine Fits and Tolerances, as a Minimum"

Lol if you agree to pay 35k for a lyco 4 banger to service limits, I have a timeshare in Syria you'd also probably find a good buy.

20k field overhaul to new limits with oh cylinder is the going rate for an angle valve 360. Everything above is boutique pricing premium. I know I know, a bit of blasphemy to utter in this board considering the fan base on here, but theres people flying cheap arrows around without fancy labels on their noses, and we re still alive (ask me how I know). To each their own.
Back in 2011 the final cost for O-360-A4A was close to $25K. But that included new cylinders, all new hoses, new oil cooler, R&R, paint, shipping to & from the shop, new plugs, and a new prop.

Thanks! I saw their website, but didn't see an estimated cost section. I'll give them a call to see what they say.
Ask for Charlie. Tell him you are a POA member. It might not get you anything, but he is an upstanding member here and just may give you a little extra attention.

20k field overhaul to new limits with oh cylinder is the going rate for an angle valve 360. Everything above is boutique pricing premium. I know I know, a bit of blasphemy to utter in this board considering the fan base on here, but theres people flying cheap arrows around without fancy labels on their noses, and we re still alive (ask me how I know). To each their own.

Thanks for the extra data point.

Back in 2011 the final cost for O-360-A4A was close to $25K. But that included new cylinders, all new hoses, new oil cooler, R&R, paint, shipping to & from the shop, new plugs, and a new prop.
Mine was $33k, (seven years ago) but that included a new crank and core as mine was trashed from a catastrophic failure in flight.

Ask for Charlie. Tell him you are a POA member. It might not get you anything, but he is an upstanding member here and just may give you a little extra attention.
Good to know! Although I'm just looking for budgeting purposes I'll be sure to remember that if I'm ever in a plane and it needs an OH.

Current Zephyr price for the IO-360-C1C is $23,900 with overhauled cylinders add $4,000 for new Lycoming cylinders. New Cam option is $800. Includes new harness and plugs, overhauled magnetos, starter, and fuel injection system. Crankcase and crankshaft must be repairable. On the airframe side you can easily exceed $5,000 for installation, mounts, hoses, baffle repairs, alternator and governor overhaul, propeller overhaul, vacuum pump, exhaust repairs, engine mount repairs. Charlie Melot now retired but answering questions and offering advice.

Current Zephyr price for the IO-360-C1C is $23,900 with overhauled cylinders add $4,000 for new Lycoming cylinders. New Cam option is $800. Includes new harness and plugs, overhauled magnetos, starter, and fuel injection system. Crankcase and crankshaft must be repairable. On the airframe side you can easily exceed $5,000 for installation, mounts, hoses, baffle repairs, alternator and governor overhaul, propeller overhaul, vacuum pump, exhaust repairs, engine mount repairs. Charlie Melot now retired but answering questions and offering advice.

Thanks for the info! Stuff does add up pretty quick.
So if we budget somewhere between 30,000 and 35,000 we should be pretty good then for an OH. More towards the lower end if some of the more recent things we've had done (prop OH, exhaust, etc.) Don't need redone.

In all honesty this engine should go past TBO (I hope, even though I won't be in the partnership at that point probably). It flies at least 100 hours a year, oil is changed religiously at every 50 hours, we get an oil analysis done every other change, and the pilot group isn't ham fisted with the throttle.

I ran a Lycoming IO-360-C1C to 2300SMOH testing oil every oil change. Only overhauled it because it was winter.

Back