Lycoming Engine replacement

Apparently change is coming. My new GMC work truck came with an hour meter located within its engine menu. It was included as standard OEM equipment. They’re probably monitoring because of the increased rate of catastrophic engine failure that GM has experienced with its 8 cyl AFM/DDM vehicles. It’s unfortunate that reliability has degraded so badly due governmental restrictions.

Hour meters are nothing new. ECUs have been recording data like that for a long time now (and a lot more). The operator just can’t see it in a lot of cases, but mechanics can if they use diagnostic tools. Things like hour meters, key cycle counters, data recorders, etc. can and are used to help determine the validity of warranty claims when foul play is expected. That data can also be used against the operator in some accidents, and now some data is being sold to insurance companies.

I just came accross a posting for a raffle plane. Made me think of this thread

yeah, I know. Continental and not a Lycoming....same difference I'll bet, more or less anyway, in terms of engine replacement costs....
1,430 hours SMOH listed, probably more than that now
1,800 TBO (Am I correct about that?)
so roughly 300 hours till TBO

I know TBO doesn't mean much...how often it runs, where it lives, etc... and so forth...
but still. The winner of this little gem doesn't really know the history, nor likely do the previous couple of owners
so it makes me wonder if winning such a prize might not be a gamble for a financial burden.

Back