Lycoming Engine oil - M20C

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Len, or anyone else familiar with this engine, O&VO-360-
My mechanic told me to keep the oil level at 5 quarts, but as the temperature is getting warmer (in the 90s now) the engine seems to be running hotter. How many quarts do you guys run in your engine? I believe this engine takes 8 quarts. but id have to check that. If i increase the oil, do you think i can get the engine to run cooler? why would my mech want me to run only 5 quarts if it takes 8....I need to ask him, but he is out of town until monday, and i planned on flying today. Just curious.
Michael

I run my 8 quart engines at 6 to 6 1/2 quarts. Running at 5 is OK but if you burn a quart then you are down to 4. This is OK but 5 or less starts to increase oil temperature a bit whereas 6,7,or 8 has no effect on temperature. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

Engine oil is the life blood of the engine and is mainly used for cooling. Running your engine on 5 quarts is not good for it. The engine requires 8 quarts for several reasons, but the main one is cooling. In addition it three quarts of oil changes your weight and balance way out in front.

Tell your mechanic if your engine burns up he will have to pay for the overhaul by recommending 5 quarts of oil because it is contrary to the maintenance manual.

Stache
A&P/IA

Michael,

I try to keep it at 7 quarts in my O360, about 1 quart shy of max. This is consistent with the way the flight school where I used to fly treated all the Lycoming equiped aircraft. Five quarts sounds really low to me. I know the O360 engine manual reports some ridiculously low number as the minimum amount of oil so, theoritically, 5 quarts should be safe but it just sounds really low to me. If I saw 5 quarts on the dipstick of a rental I would think that folks weren't checking the oil or something was wrong.

Len

I run my O-360-A3A at 4-5 quarts, anything more than 6 and it blows it out all over the inside of engine compartment and belly. No temp or pressure issues ever. It can run on two quarts according to the manual. Anyone read the April issue of Pilot about oil capacities?

If your aircraft engine is blowing out oil then something is wrong with the engine seals or the mechanic has not re-torqued the case half bolts during the annual or 100 hour inspection. The engine should not blow out oil.

Second running an engine with less than the required 8 quarts is really a bad thing for the engine not to mention it’s contrary to the recommended manufactures instructions. In some cases it may void your insurance policy if something should happens. You may want to re-read your insurance policy because it may state the aircraft has to be airworthy. Operating with less than the recommended oil level is not in accordance the airworthiness certificate and may make your aircraft unairworthy.

Stache

Stache said:
Engine oil is the life blood of the engine and is mainly used for cooling. Running your engine on 5 quarts is not good for it. The engine requires 8 quarts for several reasons, but the main one is cooling. In addition it three quarts of oil changes your weight and balance way out in front.

Tell your mechanic if your engine burns up he will have to pay for the overhaul by recommending 5 quarts of oil because it is contrary to the maintenance manual.

Ha Ha, I can just see Charlie M. asking his mechanic to pay for his overhaul:) (he runs one of the better O/H shops in the country).

Stache, I have to disagree. The oil capacity of many engines is way beyond what's needed for most flights. IIRC the certification rules say there must be enough oil to fly until fuel exhaustion buring oil at the max allowable rate without a lubrication failure. Given that the max rate in larger engines is something like 2 quarts per hour, vs the typical .1-.2 qt/hr that's a lot of extra oil. Also in most (but not all) engines the ability to shed heat doesn't improve with increased oil volume and in fact may even decrease as lots of oil lying in the sump insulates the bottom of the sump.

Stache said:
If your aircraft engine is blowing out oil then something is wrong with the engine seals or the mechanic has not re-torqued the case half bolts during the annual or 100 hour inspection. The engine should not blow out oil.

Second running an engine with less than the required 8 quarts is really a bad thing for the engine not to mention it’s contrary to the recommended manufactures instructions. In some cases it may void your insurance policy if something should happens. You may want to re-read your insurance policy because it may state the aircraft has to be airworthy. Operating with less than the recommended oil level is not in accordance the airworthiness certificate and may make your aircraft unairworthy.

Stache

I must disagree as by this definition I have never flown an airworthy aircraft. I've never flown an aircraft with the oil at maximum allowed. My bird will not keep the top 1 1/2 quarts in the case. I can fill it to 12 quarts and within 1 flight hour will be at 10 1/2 quarts and stay there for the next 15 hours.

I'm with Lance and Eggman. There is nothing anywhere stating that engines must be run with the oil at full capacity.Each engine is ist's own little "science project" when it comes to why and how much oil it uses. The factory operators manuals ofr engines allow operation with oil consumption far beyond what most of us will accept. It is definitely not an airworthiness issue as long as there is adequate oil for the flight intended. I have seen engines that were run down to a quart or so due to eaxternal leakage and were disassembled to find no damage at all. BTW there are no specified maintenance requirements for retorquing of crankcase bolts and in any case crankcase bolt torque has little to do with "oil slinging" Unless the crankcase halves are literally coming apart. Properly torqued on inityial assembly they will stay that way. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

James_Dean said:
I must disagree as by this definition I have never flown an airworthy aircraft. I've never flown an aircraft with the oil at maximum allowed. My bird will not keep the top 1 1/2 quarts in the case. I can fill it to 12 quarts and within 1 flight hour will be at 10 1/2 quarts and stay there for the next 15 hours.

Same with me - which is why I don't put the extra in it. If I put 8 in it, it's down to 6-1/2 right away. And then stays at 6-1/2. After my last annual (December) my Mx only put 6 in it, and I knew this. I left it at 6, and checked the manual, I'm still at 5-1/2 20 hours later. And my oil temp has yet to climb off the bottom of the green.

I have to assume most of you are pilots. “There is nothing anywhere stating that engines must be run with the oil at full capacity.” Well I believe the POH/AMF has a pre-flight checklist and on the oil filler is a placard that states the amount of oil (8 quarts) as an example. Placards are covered in part 91 and following the pre-flight checklist is also a part 91 rule.

So can you fly with 6 quart instead of 8? Yes you can, is it the safest thing to do probably not. There are reasons why certain engines use, burn, and loose oil. If you are having high oil consumption have the mechanic check for the following:

Excessive oil leaks:

Inspect external area of engine for leaks and repair same.

Oil being siphoned from engine in flight.

Verify the oil filter cap is secure and that the oil access door closes properly. Verify that the breather hose is cut properly and located to prevent siphoning in accordance with the airframe manufacturer's installation procedures. (Note this one)

Expander in oil control ring improperly installed or lost its tension.

If using ring with corrugated type expander, ensure ends of expander are butted together, not overlapped. If using ring with spiral wound type expander, improper assembly is not likely.

Incorrectly installed piston rings, worn piston rings, glazed or excessively worn cylinder barrels:

Perform a differential compression check. Do boroscope inspection (air leaking past rings can be detected by listening for a hissing sound in the crankcase at the breather entrance). Remove cylinders and replace piston rings with new ones and deglaze cylinder barrels.

One thing I did not mention above is the oil filler tube is made of plastic and if you over tighten the cap it will twist the tube and crack it. You will not notice the crack, but after the engine gets warmed up the plastic will expand and the inside crankcase pressure will force the oil out. This is a simple fix and now you can add the correct amount of oil recommended by the manufacture.

As far as torqueing the engine bolts. Yes, engine bolts do loose torque that is why in most maintenance manuals there is a requirement to check them. The same goes for the propeller bolts. If you see oil stains around the engine thru bolts changes are the bolts are under torqued.

Stache

Stache said:
I have to assume most of you are pilots. “There is nothing anywhere stating that engines must be run with the oil at full capacity.” Well I believe the POH/AMF has a pre-flight checklist and on the oil filler is a placard that states the amount of oil (8 quarts) as an example. Placards are covered in part 91 and following the pre-flight checklist is also a part 91 rule.

snip

Stache

From the Cessna 172SP POH preflight checklist in Section 4 Normal Operations:

"Engine Oil Dipstick/Filler Cap -- CHECK oil level, then check dipstick/filler cap SECURE. Do not operate with less than five quarts. Fill to eight quarts for extended flight."

From Section 8 Handling, Service, & Maintenance

The engine lubrication system has a total capacity of 9 quarts of oil, with the oil filter accounting for 1 quart of that total. The engine oil sump (crankcase) has a capacity of 8 quarts. The engine must not be operated with less than 5 quarts in the sump. For extended flights, the engine oil should be at 8 quarts.

The oil filler cap is marked "OIL 8 QTS." There is absolutely NOT a placard that requires 8 quarts on board, or that prohibits operation with less than 8 quarts on board any more than the placards by each fuel filler that state "FUEL 100LL/100 MIN. GRADE AVIATION GASOLINE CAP. 26.5 U.S. GAL. USABLE CAP 17.5 U.S. GAL USABLE TO BOTTOM OF FILLER INDICATOR TAB" require me to depart with ONLY 26.5 or 17.5 U.S. gallons of fuel on board.

Looking at the information manual for a 1984 Cessna 172P, I find the same information regarding oil, with the exception of the fact that the sump capacity is 7 quarts instead of 8.

The preflight checklist of a 1975 Cessna 172M states "Do not operate with less than six quarts. Fill to eight quarts for extended flights." The Service Requirements section states "Capacity of Engine Sump -- 8 Quarts. Do not operate on less than 6 quarts. To minimize loss of oil through breather, fill to 7 quart level for normal flights of less than 3 hours. For extended flight, fill to 8 quarts."

The 1979 Cessna 152 has a maximum capacity of 6 quarts, and the preflight checklist says "do not operate with less than 4 quarts. Fill to six quarts for extended flight." Section 8 Handling, Service & Maintenance says "Do not operate on less than 4 quarts. To minimize loss of oil through the breather fill to normal flights of less than 3 hours. For extended flight, fill to 6 quarts."

Those last two give some indication of what Cessna considers "normal flight," in both cases calling it less than 3 hours.

In the 1973 Piper Cherokee Challenger Owner's Handbook, Section VI, Fuel And Oil Requirements, it states: "The oil capacity of the Lycoming O-360-A4A is 8 quarts, and the minimum safe quantity is 2 quarts."

Out of 5 aircraft, I found none that require departure with full oil, and none that prohibit departure with less than full oil. Quite the contrary, in fact, Cessna goes so far as to recommend it for at least two of these aircraft.

Thanks Joe -

I guess I'm going to always have to rig something up when I fly so I always have 8 quarts, and always have 50 gallons of fuel. Stache can you get an STC for me on that? I'd hate to ever have less than 7.999 quarts of oil in my system.

Oh yeah, my POH says not less than 2 quarts. One other thing, oh ignorant pilots, what happens when you top off with fuel in the morning, and the plane sits out on the ramp during a warm sunny day before you take off?

Hey guys, thanks for the lively discussion about engine oil. Having a engine oil half empty or half full has always been a lively topic. For myself I always top off the engine oil only because the engine manufactor certificated the engine that way, it's how I do it. Is it the only way? No, but it is oneway. Running with less oil is your call.

I hope I didn't excite anyone to much, but I do enjoy the discussion. May we all be friends and over a beer hopefully we can discuss other topics.

Stache

Stache, In practical terms, the Continental TSIO360-EB1B can only hold six and a half quarts. If you fill it to eight, in half an hour it has six and a half. Then it has six and a half until somewhere around the eighth hour it has six. I have run two remans to TBO (and a third to 800 hrs) and after break-in (maybe 4-6 hours) they have all behaved identically.

If they meant for it to actually have eight they needed to have certificated it with a in-flight useable oiler. There is no practical way to comply with eight. And, I daresay the record of that engine (fragile conrods, early frying nos 5 and 6s) suggests no more
than average rates of oil problems.

I like to run six quarts. But anything over that, practically, results in a mess...and then six quarts.

Stache said:
Hey guys, thanks for the lively discussion about engine oil. Having a engine oil half empty or half full has always been a lively topic. For myself I always top off the engine oil only because the engine manufactor certificated the engine that way, it's how I do it. Is it the only way? No, but it is oneway. Running with less oil is your call.

I hope I didn't excite anyone to much, but I do enjoy the discussion. May we all be friends and over a beer hopefully we can discuss other topics.

Stache

Speaking for myself, I'm certainly not excited. I enjoy yakking about planes and flying them, and all the different ways there are to do that.

Stache said:

Stache

I'll buy the first round.

Back