Lycoming Cylinders

mondtster

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
mondtster
If you were buying new cylinders for a narrow deck IO-540 right now, what would you buy and why? I'll be ordering some within the next day or so and am looking for what is doing the best right now.

Thanks.

If money isn't much of an issue, I'd also choose factory Lycomings. However, Millenium is also another option. I've flown several aircraft that have had them installed at OH and (knock on wood) have performed just as well as factory OEM's.

Im sure someone will be along shortly to provide internal specs.

Depends on your use. I like Titan nickel cylinders a lot for corrosion protection. For steel I'd use Superior, Continental SA, or Lycoming new but I'd also shop one run Ly-Con overhauled cylinders.

My experience has been that Lycoming makes the best Lycoming cylinders. While I'm sure some have had good luck with aftermarket ones, I've seen too many problems - cylinder cracking, low compression/bad rings, etc. I'm not sure current pricing, but for parallel valve engines it wasn't all that much different when I had to buy a set for my Aztec in 2010.

If you're planning on selling the plane and it's not one where the engine condition will substantially impact resale value, then maybe a set of overhauled cylinders would be fine. But I get the feeling from your post you're looking for quality that will last. So, I'd go Lycoming.

For what it's worth, I would also go with factory Continental cylinders for a Continental these days, although that was not always the case.

My experience has been that Lycoming makes the best Lycoming cylinders. While I'm sure some have had good luck with aftermarket ones, I've seen too many problems - cylinder cracking, low compression/bad rings, etc. I'm not sure current pricing, but for parallel valve engines it wasn't all that much different when I had to buy a set for my Aztec in 2010.

If you're planning on selling the plane and it's not one where the engine condition will substantially impact resale value, then maybe a set of overhauled cylinders would be fine. But I get the feeling from your post you're looking for quality that will last. So, I'd go Lycoming.

For what it's worth, I would also go with factory Continental cylinders for a Continental these days, although that was not always the case.

In the past, with only one Lycoming engine being the exception, I've always used Lycoming cylinders on Lycomings and in the recent past I've been putting Continental cylinders on Continentals, and have had good luck. I haven't done any Lycoming overhauls in the past year or two however, and haven't heard much positive or negative about certain cylinder manufacturers, hence the original post. We're not afraid to spend money on this engine, the main thing we don't want is life limited cylinders due to an AD or premature failure if we can avoid it. Like you said, I feel the aftermarket cylinder choices are a little lackluster in these areas.

As far as pricing goes, it looks to me like the difference in prices between OE Lycoming and the aftermarkets is negligible when you factor in what does and doesn't come in each cylinder kit. Reworked cylinders were briefly considered, but that was quickly put aside since the cylinders that are coming off this engine are already oversize and are pitted pretty bad. I'd expect a plating job would be necessary to make them useable, and the price spread between a set of overhauled used cylinders and new is likely to be small.

The story with this engine is somewhat tragic. Everything looked great inside except for one cam lobe and the cylinders. It is by far the cleanest engine I've disassembled so far. I could even push every single piston pin out by hand, which is something I've never seen before except in the two sub 100 hour engines I've had to repair.

Thanks for confirming what I was suspecting guys, we'll likely just stick with Lycoming cylinders again.

aero airboss cylinders

Funny you mention those. The new CMI manufactured Air Boss cylinders were actually what prompted me to make this thread. I am considering trying them but haven't heard any feedback on them yet. Unfortunately, unless the cylinders are in service on a working airplane of some sort there likely isn't enough of a trend established yet to decide if past problems are a thing of the past or if there will be new ADs and problems cropping up.

What attracted me to these was the nickel bore treatment. The airplane this engine is on gets used, but it also has some longer periods of disuse throughout the year than what it really probably should. Having bores that aren't all pitted due to sitting around and rusting would be nice.

Research the market these companies are changing hands faster than poker chips. Superior does make a good cylinder, but ECI was better for the little 0-2/300 but we can't get them anymore.

This is where I buy cylinders
http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/cylinders/

Back