Lycoming 0360 overhaul recommendations

dwalt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DWalt
Looking at buying a Grumman Tiger that will need its O360-A4K overhauled.

I'm open to ship out and doing a swap or getting this core overhauled. The quotes I've gotten so far are between 20-21K, plus another 2-3k for installation from the shop if we're doing a swap.

Sounds a little high to me, but perhaps my expectations were wrong.

Any recommendations for good shops are appreciated!

Also, does anyone have any experience w/ Don George in Orlando?

Last edited:
Charlie Merlot in Florida. He hangs out here sometimes. For a quality overhaul with warranty, those prices are in the ballpark.

I went to JB engines in Sebring, FL with my IO-320. It's a one stop shop. Drop off your aircraft and 30 days later, pick it up with a new overhaul already test run.

Charlie Merlot in Florida. He hangs out here sometimes. For a quality overhaul with warranty, those prices are in the ballpark.

Agree totally ,had him do an overhaul on my arrow. Was very happy with his work and support.

We had Charlie do the engines on the 310. 150 hours in, just had the first annual, engines are perfect.

You can get a cheap overhaul, but they tend to be get what you pay for items. It's important to have a good shop with a good reputation that will stand behind their work. It seems everyone I've known who's had a cheap overhaul has regretted it.

If this engine has been overhauled before, have someone knowledgeable look at the work orders and parts sheets from that overhaul to give you an idea whether your are up for lots of expensive parts replacements (mostly whether the crank has enough 'beef' on it to have a chance of going back in). IF the expensive bits were close to being worn out last time around, getting an overhaul exchange from Lycoming may be a viable option.

I found Mr Rashed at Triad very responsive when we were looking into overhaul shops. In the end we decided on an overhaul exchange which he was not able to provide (at least for our particular engine). His quote was broken up for the different cylinder options available (new factory, new ECI, overhauled ECI etc.). They do offer the whole thing including R&R and an annual, you drop off the plane and get it back with the overhauled engine.

There is a benefit to using a local or semi-local shop.
- if you have a pickup truck, you can ship the engine yourself.
- if you have minor issues afterwards, you can just show up and have them fix it rather than having to go through a local mechanic and waiting for reimbursement from the engine shop.

If you have the overhaul shop do the R&R you also guard against the blame game on 'clear installation errors'.

Buy new..

Am just now going through my O-320 with 2300 hours and 35 years on a field overhaul. Cam looked great. Bearings were pretty good. Crank looks very good.
Choose to spend wisely. New costs vs. a well done overhaul can buy one hell of a lot of fuel, and after all are we in this to fly or brag about our new, expensive motor........? :yes:

Am just now going through my O-320 with 2300 hours and 35 years on a field overhaul. Cam looked great. Bearings were pretty good. Crank looks very good.
Choose to spend wisely. New costs vs. a well done overhaul can buy one hell of a lot of fuel, and after all are we in this to fly or brag about our new, expensive motor........? :yes:

I finished an annual on a 170-B today with a Lycoming 180 horse, it has 3300 TT never been off the mounts, Compression was 78/80 68/80 74/80 72/80,(Cold) oil pressure is normal, plugs look great, no leaks and it makes the rpm it should.
Run them until you don't trust them, and use them for a core.
Figuring Dollars per hour, over the life of a new engine, it is the cheapest way to go.

I finished an annual on a 170-B today with a Lycoming 180 horse, it has 3300 TT never been off the mounts, Compression was 78/80 68/80 74/80 72/80,(Cold) oil pressure is normal, plugs look great, no leaks and it makes the rpm it should.
Run them until you don't trust them, and use them for a core.
Figuring Dollars per hour, over the life of a new engine, it is the cheapest way to go.

Those compressions on the same cylinders....3300.....unusual.

Entirely possible - but unusual.....:rolleyes2:

Those compressions on the same cylinders....3300.....unusual.

Entirely possible - but unusual.....:rolleyes2:

How would we know if it is unusual if no one runs them out this far?

This one is at TBO and a half. (almost) if they get 4000 or so they have saved 1 complete overhaul at probably 25k.

and yes these are original cylinders oil usage is 1 in 10.

Otherwise nothing special, an oil filter add on, and frequent oil changes.

"Until you don't trust 'em" is an interesting way to appraise an engine condition.
There are much better approaches based on careful analysis of oil and cylinder inspection, as well as the excellent modern instrumentation and analysis.

It's great to hear of engines being allowed to run well past TBO since they obviously can!

Last edited:
"Until you don't trust 'em" is an interesting way to appraise an engine condition.
There are much better approaches based on careful analysis of oil and cylinder inspection, as well as the excellent modern instrumentation and analysis.

It's great to hear of engines being allowed to run well past TBO since they obviously can!

Does it really matter what makes you not trust your engine?

You could use a Ouija board, in part 91 there is only one reason to overhaul any engine, you simply no longer trust it.

One biggie warning about running engines way past TBO, don't plan on overhauling it.

you won't get many parts that will be able to be reworked and returned to service as a rebuilt engine.

So if you are planing to run way past TBO simply buy all the parts new at the same time.

there is only one reason to overhaul any engine, you simply no longer trust it.

That is technically absurd. But you'll never agree - so I'll move on and leave you to it. :redface:

I'm guessing he'll be happy with the "last word" any minute now.......:rolleyes:

That is technically absurd. But you'll never agree - so I'll move on and leave you to it. :redface:
It may be absurd to you but it is 100% correct to many. people operating a fleet of 1 don't have the sample size th develop prognostics. Run to failure or run to annoyingly frequent repairs, are perfectly viable options.

piper pawnee, lycoming IO-540 pushing 4000hrs and 20 something years SMOH. When it lets me down I'll hang my spare engine and keep flying.

Back to the OP's question, Central Cylinder, Omaha does good work on certified engines, mags, carbs, regrinding cams, rebuilding cylinders, NDT testing, they do it all. I know several plane owners that have used them over the years. They do good work, priced fair.

Thanks for all the info guys...I'm going to do some research on all of these and also get some quotes and (almost more importantly) timelines from them.

Has anyone had any experience with Don George in Orlando?

Run to failure or run to annoyingly frequent repairs, are perfectly viable options.
Maybe in your twin, but in a Grumman Tiger, running to failure has significant downsides. Engines usually give significant signals that overhaul is needed; ignore them at your peril, especially in a single.

Maybe in your twin, but in a Grumman Tiger, running to failure has significant downsides. Engines usually give significant signals that overhaul is needed; ignore them at your peril, especially in a single.

Very true, those signals should make you stop trusting your engine.

If you don't trust it, don't fly it.

Back