Lyc. 0-290-D2 Oil consumption 1 Qt/ 3Hrs out Breather

J-Miller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
J-Miller
Probably heard this one a lot , but .. 0-290-D2 200hrs since major. All lower plugs Clean, compression all mid 70/80 ... Stacks show no oil. Keep oil @ 5 1/2 to 6 Qt. level. Breather Tube off Case dripping.. Can the C.case vent fitting be rotated UP to allow a Oil /Air sep. to be installed ? Or other ideas

My experience was that the air-oil separator will be overwhelmed by that volume of oil.

Welcome to POA.

It is within acceptable oil consumption limits per Lycoming.
It is high though. What cylinders? Chromed? Glazed cylinders perhaps? Possible to re-hone cylinders?

An air-oil separator will likely reduce the consumption some but will not address the cause.

Standard Lycoming Cylinders , not Chrome. Gibson Aviation did the work and all cylinders are Yellow Tagged. Looking to rotate the fitting on the breather up and then run the breather line over the top of the motor to a separator, then on to the breather line, ( with a vent hole to prevent ice or vacuum from slipstream ).

I used one of these:
http://antisplataero.com/products/saddle-mount-vacumm-valve
to run the air oil separator outflow into the exhaust to keep the belly cleaner.

You may want to cut a whistle slot in the air oil separator outflow tube as a safety in case of obstruction.

I had a yellow tagged cylinder installed to replace one I had fail in flight away from home. My oil consumption remained high after replacement and that cylinders compression fell below 50 in less than 200 hours. When I replaced it that time I bought a new cylinder and oil consumption went way down. The slightly higher cost of a new cylinder is money well spent.

I have found that with most aircraft engines if they are filled up to the full mark they will blow the first quart out the breather in about an hour, the next quart will take a couple of hours. Then they will settle in to a 2/3 full state where they will stop blowing oil out the breather and operate just fine for many more hours. Most of my experience is with small continentals and lycomings. I think the poh in a couple of the planes I have flown caution against filling the sump all the way unless flying nonstop for many hours.

Back