Lunch with Uncle Dave

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I had the pleasure of spending time with Dave Siciliano at PTS today, and enjoyed meeting his lovely nieces. Dave missed out on having his landing judged at Gaston’s, so he was judged today by the local airport bums and all agreed that he made a perfect “10”.

Dave, thanks for stopping by…it was great spending time with you, as always. Wish we would have had even longer to visit. :) BTW, I’m glad you finally got those engines started.

Have fun with your upcoming training and let us know how you like it.

Attachments

• Dave and his 10.JPG
    Dave and his 10.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Checking the fuel.JPG
    Checking the fuel.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Diana!!
The girls really liked meeting you! Sorry it was such a rush; they just couldn't wait to get home after 2 1/2 weeks. Now, back to reality!!

Weather on the way back today was a challenge. Got out between storms from Portage today and flew about 12,000 until 1/2 way back until the winds aloft lightened; then, went up to FL240 to get on top and took a couple great pics.

As I arrived at Addison; guess who was in front of me; none other than Spike!! Winds at Addison were 30 knots gusting to 41 and not down the runway. He diverted, and how could I not with an attorney as a witness to my poor judgement??? We sat at McKinney waiting for things to blow over: small world huh?

Couple pics:

Diana and I in front of N322KS at PTS.

Second pic is of a hole I flew through at FL240 on the way back to ADS today from Wisconsin. NEXRAD showed red stuff in the cloud formation to the left and to the right, but we were near the tops.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Diana and I in front of 2KS 015.jpg
    Diana and I in front of 2KS 015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • FL240 approaching McAlister hole in weather in 2KS pic 4 080606.jpg
    FL240 approaching McAlister hole in weather in 2KS pic 4 080606.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 61
Dave Siciliano said:
Weather on the way back today was a challenge. Got out between storms from Portage today and flew about 12,000 until 1/2 way back until the winds aloft lightened; then, went up to FL240 to get on top and took a couple great pics.

As I arrived at Addison; guess who was in front of me; none other than Spike!! Winds at Addison were 30 knots gusting to 41 and not down the runway.
Here are a few shots from FlightAware of your trip (one shot as you crossed near the farm at 24000) and also of the storms around Dallas. I was wondering how you managed to land at ADS with those storms all around.

We're glad you made it home OK. :)

Attachments

• ADS weather.JPG
    ADS weather.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Radar at Dallas.JPG
    Radar at Dallas.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Dave turns back east.JPG
    Dave turns back east.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Dave S. over MO.JPG
    Dave S. over MO.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Diana said:
...the storms around Dallas. I was wondering how you managed to land at ADS with those storms all around...

...and now you know he didn't, until after the gust front passed.

I was just glad a serious, experienced pilot was diverting to TKI, too, made me feel less... wuss-ish.

40 knots across the runway? Uh-uh.

Made for a good opportunity to chat with Dave, something I am sure he cherished too! ;-)

Still, I kept hearing all these smart-aleck comments on the radio, something about not clearing lawyers to land, not selling fuel to lawyers, that sort of thing. Scandalous!

SCCutler said:
I was just glad a serious, experienced pilot was diverting to TKI, too, made me feel less... wuss-ish. 40 knots across the runway? Uh-uh.
Those storms looked wicked on the radar. Spike a wuss? Never!

SCCutler said:
Made for a good opportunity to chat with Dave, something I am sure he cherished too! ;-)
:D

SCCutler said:
40 knots across the runway? Uh-uh.

If Spike were a flower, he'd definitely be a Pansie. LOL

SCCutler said:
Still, I kept hearing all these smart-aleck comments on the radio, something about not clearing lawyers to land, not selling fuel to lawyers, that sort of thing. Scandalous!

Spike: I've told you a million times to quit exaggerating!

We said something about you making up your mind where you were going in jest; you sassed back a little and tower said something about: let's all get a long now. I do recall stating something to the effect of with an attorney flying, that might be difficult. :D

As for me asking the FBO to have you park somewhere else, well, of course, that was in jest (fingers crossed behind back).

But I very much enjoyed seeing ya and yours!

Best,

Dave

40 knots accross the runway, you could almost have landed crossways.

AirBaker said:
40 knots accross the runway, you could almost have landed crossways.

Gee Chris; Maybe we could follow you in next time :D

Unfortunately, winds were 30 with gust to over 40; would have been my luck to plan on 40 and have it drop to 30 on short final landing on the 75 foot width!!

Best,

Dave

Dave, in case you were second-guessing your decision to divert...

...had supper with K. C. Craigo tonight, he tells me the wind took 40' of stucco off the side of his hangar.

You can bet the gusts got worse than 40 knots.

I feel *just fine* about my choice. And yours!

===

Also, SW pilot who landed at DAL? At x-wind limits, no mas for about 45 minutes, rolled-out into the storm on 13R.

I think we were fortunate.

Dave Siciliano said:
Gee Chris; Maybe we could follow you in next time :D

Unfortunately, winds were 30 with gust to over 40; would have been my luck to plan on 40 and have it drop to 30 on short final landing on the 75 foot width!!

Best,

Dave

Who me? :)

Yeah, unless you're headed into Castle (KMER) out here, landing crossways generally isn't a good plan!

Gee, Dave you sure seem to hang out with tall women.:)
Seems I remember you as taller in your training squadron picture.

BTW, most of the people I know are taller then me too.:yes:

Hey Keith. Yea, two of my nieces are pretty tall; 5'10 and 6'; my brother's daughter is near 5'. Just don't think about it much unless I can't reach something ;-)

Best,

Dave

...had supper with K. C. Craigo tonight, he tells me the wind took 40' of stucco off the side of his hangar.

Well if Casey said he agreed, that does it for me!! :rofl:

I don't think we were forturnate Spike; we were smart!

Best,

Dave

wbarnhill said:
Fixed that for you. :D
haha...careful. I try to keep my mouth shut, 'cause I know he could fly up here in a heartbeat to kick my ass ;)

jangell said:
haha...careful. I try to keep my mouth shut, 'cause I know he could fly up here in a heartbeat to kick my ass ;)

Geesh! Why in the world would you think that??

The girls seem to be pretty capable of fending for themselves :yes:

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
What a wonderful guy! Thanks!

Dave

No problem, just pointing out the obvious :D

Though I'm glad my girlfriend hasn't found this thread yet. :yes:

HPNFlyGirl said:
I love short guys!!!!! Bald guys are sexy too.

Geesh, is that why I never get any women? I'm 6'4" and I have a full head of very thick hair that really needs to be cut at the moment...

Dave Siciliano said:
The girls seem to be pretty capable of fending for themselves :yes:

Especially since they'd be looking down at Jesse. ;) :D

Richard said:
Diana, I'm still trying to figure out why you got a pic with the line boy.:rolleyes:
Richard, I told my cameraman to get a picture of me with the nicest, friendliest gentleman on the ramp. Besides, Dave's landing wasn't the only reason I gave him a "10". :) I only hope that you get the opportunity to meet Dave someday...he's a great guy!

flyingcheesehead said:
Especially since they'd be looking down at Jesse. ;) :D

Yup..me and my massive 5'7" height which generally results in me not being able to see over the panel for crap in most airplanes.

jangell said:
Yup..me and my massive 5'7" height which generally results in me not being able to see over the panel for crap in most airplanes.

Well, that beats the heck out of having to buy a $500 in-ear headset so you don't bang your head on the canopy of your favorite planes. :(

I think the world is made for 5'8" to 6'2". :rolleyes:

Back