Lunch Stop Friday??

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
I would be interested in stopping somewhere for lunch/brunch Friday (Labor Day weekend) on the way up to 6Y9 and also topping off with fuel so as to not arrive there on EMPTY. :idea: Anyone with me on a similar timetable?? I'm open to anywhere in Wisconsin... flying pretty much straight north from central Illinois. :yes:

I am pretty sure Iola, (68C) will still be doing their Friday lunches. Clintonville for fuel.

Clintonville for fuel (cheapest around).

Shawano EZS has a nice bar/restaurant for a lunch snack 100yards from the airport.

Iola does their Friday lunches year round, and they're fun. Last time we went, though, we met up with Greg and Sharon at Friar Tuck's at OSH and flew loose formation from there. No fuel at Iola, of course. (In the 182, though, with 88 gallons usable, we don't need additional fuel, and prefer to land light at 6Y9 for giving rides.)

LOL Grant... haven't had enough Friar Tuck's cheese curds followed by a Jaeger bomb in a plastic cup?? We were there just last week! Sigh... :)

LOL Grant... haven't had enough Friar Tuck's cheese curds followed by a Jaeger bomb in a plastic cup?? We were there just last week! Sigh... :)
We only went to FT once, and that was lunch Sunday as we were leaving. In Camp Scholler, where we tend to have ground transportation available, we typically eat a little better than you poor North 40 folk! :rofl: (Witness Leslie's cooking!)

Depending on your routing, Janesville, Madison, and Sheboygan all have reasonable restaurants.

We only went to FT once, and that was lunch Sunday as we were leaving. In Camp Scholler, where we tend to have ground transportation available, we typically eat a little better than you poor North 40 folk! :rofl: (Witness Leslie's cooking!)

Well, you know that was the best meal of my week... the catered dinner/awards banquet we had Friday night with my group arrival was a very close second. :D Scrounging up ground transportation is all a part of the adventure though! Did you want to stop in OSH on the way up to 6Y9 even if you don't need fuel?? I'll bet it has a whole different look this week. LOL. Basler?? or Orion??

Clintonville for fuel (cheapest around).

Shawano EZS has a nice bar/restaurant for a lunch snack 100yards from the airport.

Yes if you need fuel and lunch at the same time, Shawano would be good. Across the street, the Launching Pad has some pretty good Friday fish available for both lunch and dinner. Try the beer battered fries with it!

Lynn,

I would go one of the following two places, if you haven't already experienced them:

1) Iola (68C). Lunch is every friday at Noon, year round, rain or shine. You will see some of the most amazing, cool aircraft there - Lots of vintage stuff, often an experimental gyrocopter, several Ercoupes, a bunch of Cubs and Cub knockoffs... It's a little slice of aviation heaven. As others have said, stop at Clintonville (KCLI) afterwards for the cheapest fuel around, or if you just want something nearby, Waupaca (KPCZ) is about 10nm south of 68C.

2) Sheboygan (KSBM). One of the best on-airport restaurants anywhere. It's not well marked, but it's in the big gray building down near the approach end of runway 3. The fuel's not known for being cheap, but it is available, and the FBO will come down and fuel your plane at the restaurant.

Heck, you could do both - Get lunch at 68C on your way up on Friday, and then eat at KSBM on the way home. :yes:

I've been to all the other ones people have suggested so far, and while they're OK, they simply don't compare to these two.

Iola is a fun little airport... been there twice and enjoyed it both times. :D PCZ is kinda in the middle of nowhere though... that was our staging base for Cherokees 2 OSH (group arrival into Airventure) last month. If we didn't have our hangar dinner catered in one night and a food go-fer willing and ready ahead of time to go out for eats, I'm not sure what we all would have done for food! :dunno: As it is though, we are now coming in to 6Y9 on Saturday... the husband did not think it was important to let me know that he was teaching a late afternoon class until 4pm on Friday. :idea:I've never been to EZS... thinking of that for a fast turnaround on Saturday... SBM on the way back if they will be open on the Labor Day holiday!

Last edited:
Iola is a fun little airport... been there twice and enjoyed it both times. :D

Excellent!

PCZ is kinda in the middle of nowhere though... that was our staging base for Cherokees 2 OSH (group arrival into Airventure) last month. If we didn't have our hangar dinner catered in one night and a food go-fer willing and ready ahead of time to go out for eats, I'm not sure what we all would have done for food! :dunno:

Well, I think the only thing that's nearby is the strip joint across the street. ("The Landing Strip") Not sure if they have food, never been there. LOL

As it is though, we are now coming in to 6Y9 on Saturday... the husband did not think it was important to let me know that he was teaching a late afternoon class until 4pm on Friday.

You can still make it before sunset...

:idea:I've never been to EZS... thinking of that for a fast turnaround on Saturday... SBM on the way back if they will be open on the Labor Day holiday!

I dunno... Call and check beforehand. They're normally closed on Mondays.

Excellent!

You can still make it before sunset...

I thought about that... but I don't want to get there at dusk. I've never been to 6Y9 before... I want to give myself every advantage with finding it! :rolleyes: And then there is tent/camp set-up, possibly in the dark after that. I'll wait... it works out better anyway with my schedule. Friday is always a rough day with my work schedule. See you soon! :D

Well, I'm flying to Clintonville Thursday and spending the night so I'll be there with a rental car on Friday thus, if anyone wants to have lunch there, I can be the taxi to/from town.

Otherwise, I'm game for anywhere else.

I had a change of plans, Tim... we're not flying until Saturday. :( But, we will get there eventually. Planning on Clintonville to top off, but just for a fast turnaround. See you soon! :D

Back