Lunch near Huntington, WV?

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
Hello all,

Flying tomorrow from Raleigh-Durham to Indianapolis, and trying to plan a fuel / lunch stop somewhere around halfway. I'll be taking off with enough fuel to make it 200nm from RDU with comfortable reserves, which puts me around Huntington, WV.

Any recommendations?

Ummmmm......how about Huntington, WV?? There's restaurant on field.

Big Sandy (SJS) has fuel and a cafe on field. Scenic hilltop airport with occasional sightings of herds of elk.

Just about half-way at 217nm from RDU.

Newlon Field (I41) in Huntington has a restaurant on field, though I think it's only open weekends. When I flew through there a few years ago it was closed, so I stopped at DWU and borrowed the courtesy car to go into town for lunch.

Fly In Cafe @ I41 was already there. I added Cloud 9 Cafe @SJS to FlightsForBites.com

No idea what place to recommend, but if you see pepperoni rolls or hot dogs w/ sauce on the menu, you should try that.

Sounds like you just described every gas station in the state.

[vomit emoji]

Well it's too bad if gas stations are doing that. Used to be staple food items, and they were usually done well.

Skyline Restaurant @ KPMH Portsmouth OH. Looks like a diner from the 50's. Locals eat there.
I am based near Big Sandy SJS and go there a lot, but Skyline is better.
Breakfast and short order all day, lunch and dinner specials.
Fuel is not self service, so let them know when you arrive that you need fuel and they will have you ready by the time you eat.
The terminal is art deco architecture, really a blast from the past

Back